Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recovering PST file

• 24-01-2007 2:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've created a pst file but there is data missing from it.

Any one know any free programs that will allow me to recover it? If googled it but they all cost

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kearnsr wrote:
    I've created a pst file but there is data missing from it.

Any one know any free programs that will allow me to recover it? If googled it but they all cost

What about scanpst.exe that comes with Outlook?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Spear wrote:
    What about scanpst.exe that comes with Outlook?

Never heard of it. What does it do?

Scan the pst file? I know what I'm missing and I want to restore them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

make a copy of the PST first

then break it - hex edit out the last 10 bytes then outlook should try to repair it
    slipstick have a link to the 2GB tool that nibbles a bit off the end - it's like for when you have emptied the recycle bin and haven't compacted the pst

readpst http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055039816 - won't work with PST's from 2003 or later

if you know whats missing - how did it go missing ?? - if you deleted it and then compacted it's gone forever

if you changed the view at the top to show just the last 7 days then older stuff won't be visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

are you on an exchange server? is it possible you accidentally deleted files?
    try highlighting deleted items and then go to tool / recover deleted items

As Cpt said above if the view setting is changed you may not be seeing stuff that is actually there, right click pst in outlook and advanced find.

Also try view / arrainge by the default view here is date which should show every thing thats there.

Good luck hope you find the mails

Edit: here have a look at this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01

I use this myself , i just point it at a network drive and run it once a week.
    Saved me a few times after pc rebuilds etc. I always forget the pst :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The bosses email was full so he archived 2005 and 2006 emails (about 5000 emails)

2005 are ok and 2006 is ok up until September. Now he wants all his emails from October but there is no sign of them.

But the pst file seems to be about the right size based and one of the lads used some programme to identify the emails in the pst file and they appear to be there but we cant restore them

• Advertisement
Advertisement