Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help routing a port through ADSL Modem & Router please

Options
  • 24-01-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm trying to route a port through my dsl modem and wireless router to a computer but just can't work out how to do it.

The network is like this: Internet -> Zyxel Prestige P660RU -> SMC Barricade wireless router -> computer.

On the modem the options for NAT are; None, SUA Only or Full Feature. I have it as SUA only and have the port forwarded (5900 for VNC) to the computer address. Should I make this the router's address? Should I use SUA only option?

Then on the router I have the port forwarded as well.

This doesn't work. Does any one have any ideas what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jazzyk

Hi

I have the same modem as you but I have link sys wrt54gl wireless router.
    The Zyxel Prestige P660RU provides an ip address for your router eg: 192.168.1.34 you need to forward the port for that address in the P660RU sua menu
    The router assigns an address to your laptop eg. 192.168.2.113
    you need to forward the same port in the router menu.

eg: modem address 192.168.1.1
    router address 192.168.2.1

modem gives router address 192.168.1.34 (eg forward port 52000 in 660 menu)
    router gives laptop address 192.168.2.100 (also forward port 52000 but for this address in wireless router menu)

Sounds very confusing, but hop it helps!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Do you do each port individually to the router. Does forward all ports not work? And do you use the SUA only option on the modem?

You can forward ports individually or a range of port eg 11575 to 11600
    I am not an expert in networking but i would imagine if you forward all ports you would be leaving your computer wide open to attack.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

Yea use SUA only

check out
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/Prestige660RU-T1/Utorrent.htm
    JK

I think I could forward all ports to the router then use that to filter them and keep me safe. Haven't got it working yet...

Thanks for signing up and helping my btw.

Arggh. Can't get it to work!

My settings are as follows:

On the modem:
    port1.jpg
    The modem's address is 192.168.2.245
    On the router:
    port2.jpg

port3.jpg

The computer I'm trying to forward to is 192.168.2.147
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Mr Fibble
    How is your network setup?
    pc with dsl usb modem, connected to router via lan cable? or
    pc with dsl usb modem and network card, connected to router via lan cable?

In modem menu under SUA ip address should be your barricade ip address eg 192.168.2.1 ( you have wan address there ) and ports should be exactly same in both menus eg start 5700 end 5900!

JK

Its phone line --> dsl Ethernet modem --Ethernet cable--> barricade wifi router --airwaves--> computers

I thought in your 1st post you said to forward to the address that the modem gives the router? I have the router set to 192.168.2.1 but the dsl modem gives it the address 192.168.2.33.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Does your modem support bridged/transparent mode?

If it does use this and do your PPoE from the router...all traffic will be passed to the router then setup the ports to be forwarded on the router _only_

ntlbell wrote:
    Does your modem support bridged/transparent mode?

If it does use this and do your PPoE from the router...all traffic will be passed to the router then setup the ports to be forwarded on the router _only_
    There an option to choose between 'Routing' or 'Bridge'. Is this it? Encapsulation is set to PPoE at the moment, shall I leave that as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

In that first image, why is the IP address set to the WAN IP of the router? In my head, it should be the IP address you're forwarding to. In your case, 2.147.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

There an option to choose between 'Routing' or 'Bridge'. Is this it? Encapsulation is set to PPoE at the moment, shall I leave that as it is?

Choose bridge and setup the PPoE config in the router

your WAN interface on the router will then be assigned your external IP address.

Then forward whatever ports you need in the router config

do not setup any forwarding on the modem config.

I did what NTLBell suggested and the port forwarding is working now. Still can't get VNC to connect from outside the house but its not a port forwarding problem.

Thanks for your help.

Arggh. I got it working. I had another entry for the port going to another computer overriding this entry. So stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 koolyoe

Hi I have read these posts and it seems that i have been doing things wrong and i still am, if anyone would willing to help me id appretiate it. Ok, my network is as follows
    Corega DSL 200A Modem->Linksys WirelessG Broadband Router WRT54G>with 2 computers and 1 PSP. I am trying to open ports 3658,3659, so that I can Play Need For Speed Carbon Online without getting lost connection to host.(this is for my psp). I know the IP address for my setup page for Linksys. I do NOT know the ip address for my setup page for Corega DSL Modem. If anyone could help I would greatly appretiate it. and if you think you could help better with chatting with me you may add me to MSN Messenger. which is k o o l y o e @ h o t m a i l . c o m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

koolyoe wrote:
    Hi I have read these posts and it seems that i have been doing things wrong and i still am, if anyone would willing to help me id appretiate it. Ok, my network is as follows
    Corega DSL 200A Modem->Linksys WirelessG Broadband Router WRT54G>with 2 computers and 1 PSP. I am trying to open ports 3658,3659, so that I can Play Need For Speed Carbon Online without getting lost connection to host.(this is for my psp). I know the IP address for my setup page for Linksys. I do NOT know the ip address for my setup page for Corega DSL Modem. If anyone could help I would greatly appretiate it. and if you think you could help better with chatting with me you may add me to MSN Messenger. which is k o o l y o e @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Ok, you first need to clarify for us which of the devices is controlling your internet connection, i.e. is the cable between the linksys box and the Corega plugged into the WAN/Internet port on the Linksys, or is it into one of the LAN ports? Also, can you open a command prompt, and type in ipconfig. This should give you your default gateway. This will be the IP of the device controlling the connection. If this is different from that of the Linksys address, it is most likely your Corega, and that is responsible for the connection.

Once you ascertain that it gives a better indication of what needs to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 force4

koolyoe wrote:

I'm presuming your wireless is working fine.Go to network settings on your psp , dont search for your wireless network.Pick infrastructure mode
    Connection name; Connection 1
    SSID; whatever u have named it "lynksys" is default
    Security; Whether WEP or WPA or none
    IP Address; Give it a unique IP address on your network 192.168.1.***
    Subnet Mask; 255.255.255.0
    Default Router; 192.168.1.1
    Primary Dns ; your ISP's setting
    Secondary DNS; as above
    Proxy server; set to "Do not use"
    Internet Browser;set to " Do not start"
    When you want to play game online; start it ,goto multiplayer,click infrastructure, select your connection name.If its your first time to connect to EA games you will have to set up an account with a user name. All the settings are on your routers page 192.168.1.1 just in case except for the IP

Advertisement