Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Media Edition Random BSOD

• 24-01-2007 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I recently got a new HP machine with all the bells and whistles. Standard stuff, duel intel core, 1gig ram, GEForce Video card.

I'm getting lots of BSOD (Blue screen of death) particularly while running media applications, dvd player software, games etc. However it also sometimes happens when the machine is doing nothing.

It seems BSOD has improves somewhat since the last time I've seen them a few years ago, I actually get some sort of message these days.

They appear to be random - usually mentioning some sort of .sys file, and a different one each time. ntfs.sys was one, but there were four or five others.

At times it has also said page file fault (sorry for the vagueness of the errormessages) and IRQ not or less equal.

I've done some reseach and tried the following -

Changing bios settings to assign manual IRQS. Didn't do anything.
    Changed the windows page file to 0, reboot, reassign and reboot. Didn't work either.

Another guide mentioned disabling bios shadowing / caching - but my bios doesn't appear to have an option for that. It also said to disable com ports but for the life of me I can't find that option in XP Media Edition.

The burning issue for me right now is whether this is a hardware or software issue. I should point out that I don't have net access at home right so so haven't updated from windowsupdate.com.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Download & run Memtest+

If you have no floppy drive use the bootable CD ISO image and burn to CD with Imgburn.

Leave it run for 3-4 hours and see if it logs any errors if it does then one ore more of the RAM DIMM's is defective and most likely the source of the random BSOD's.

Advertisement