Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will English televisions work in Ireland

• 24-01-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The title says it all really! Will UK televisions work in Ireland?

I seem to remember a few years back (before digital tv) there were issues whereby UK tv stations were transmitted on a different wavelength - VHF or something - and an adaptor was needed to use them here.

Any help would be appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I have always bought my TVs in the North and never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

RTE 1 and 2 are broadcast on VHF.
    TV3 and TG4 are broadcast on UHF.

English televisions as standard do not have VHF receivers and hence will not be able to receive RTE 1 and 2.

TV's from Northern Ireland may have VHF receivers, but afaik English sets do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i know i had this problem before. had an english tv and it wouldnt work here. you can buy a box converter thing in petes though. cant remember how much but did the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Most new TV's are now made in China for the greater European market, so they have to cater for all frequencies and broadcast modes.

Usually when you set them up first/auto-tune them they ask you to specify what country you're in.

I think I still might have one of those old Peats converters for older UK TVs, free to anyone in desperate need, but I need to check my box of tricks first to see if I haven't thrown it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

themole wrote:
    RTE 1 and 2 are broadcast on VHF.
    TV3 and TG4 are broadcast on UHF.

English televisions as standard do not have VHF receivers and hence will not be able to receive RTE 1 and 2.

TV's from Northern Ireland may have VHF receivers, but afaik English sets do not.

this infrmation is misleading.

while there are still a few VHF channels still in use, they are scarce. most terrestrial tv in Ireland is now on the UHF band.

the UK and Ireland share the same UHF band and yes, a UK television will work here. even if you are in an area with VHF transmission, odds are good that you are also covered by UHF from the same or another transmission site.

a rare example of Ireland having the sense to integrate to work with an already proven standard, instead of making an arse of it all on our own!!

hope this is helpful ~

g

• Advertisement
Advertisement