Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable housing vs Cheap housing

Options
  • 24-01-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am in just about to buy a house in Carlow for €180K (initial deposit down). Now the gov are after announcing the NDP of €10.5 mill for Carlow Social Housing. I am wondering if it is worth waiting to see if they come up with any affordable housing in Carlow. I am on the Aff housing list.

Is there any main adv to having aff housing?
    Should I go ahead with the place for €180K?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Govt has failed miserably to provide affordable housing thusfar, no sign it will change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

And if it does change, your going to be waiting years to feel the effects. I'd go ahead with the current house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

€180k?? :eek: That's a great price. The affordable housing won't be much lower than that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Stephen p - It is Carlow,

Oxygen - once you like the house go ahead and buy it:) I wouldn't bother waiting,whats the point?you can afford it with out the governments help so you may as well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Affordable housing and social housing are not the same thing. Was there any provision in the NDP for affordable housing?

€180k is well affordable anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Moonbeam wrote:
    Stephen p - It is Carlow,

Yes I know...I thought Carlow was steadily increasing in price...I must be (obviously) mistaken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

seamus wrote:
    Affordable housing and social housing are not the same thing. Was there any provision in the NDP for affordable housing?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

seamus wrote:

€180k is well affordable anyway :)

sure was. an extra 100,000. given the governments track record of breaking previous promises in relation to social an affordable housing, I wouldn't wait on it. plus you are now choosing the house you want. even if they did come good in a few years you might not like the house allocated and it may not necessarily be cheaper. e.g small affordable houses in Cork are €240,000.

Advertisement