Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats needed to get a bike on the road?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I've a couple of bikes that are fairly new ,but I havent been on them for about 6 months.
    Is there anything I should be weary of before I start using them again ,chain ,tires ,gears ?? oiling ?

Ones a specialized sirrus sport and the other is a specialized hard rock.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Pump the tyres, make sure they're not punctured.
    If there are quick releases on the wheels make sure they're properly closed.
    Check the chain isn't rusted , if it is try and clean/oil it.
    Check the handebars/stem aren't loose.
    Give it a shake and make sure nothings rattling.

That'll get you going anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks ,wasn't sure if the bottom brackets needed greasing or the cables needed tightening

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I find taking the cables out of their hoses and greasing them up is something very worthwhile doing. Makes them work very smoothly and isn't a hard job to do. You can use a pliers to get the cap off the end of the cable to pull it back through and get new ones in a bike shop for free if you're polite! :)

Never thought of greasing the cable ,
    i'm fairly heavy and I cycle hard ,i'd be afraid the bottom bracket would be dry. But I wasn't sure about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The bottom bracket is a sealed unit so it doesn't require lubrication.

I should have mentioned to check your brakes too!

If the bikes have been stored inside everything should be fine - if outside you'll have to do a bit more work.

• Advertisement

coolaboola ,both bikes are in the house.

thanks again.

Brian.

Advertisement