Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Customs Directly

Options
  • 24-01-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭

I bought a jacket from America and expected to be charged about 30 euro, but today I recieved a bill for almost 70 euro! This consisted of €33 VAT, 17 Duty and other chargers of €13.50, and more VAT (on the bill) of €3.

What I want to know is, Can I pay Irish Customs diretly? and avoid paying UPS for the service of them paying customs, even if it is only 15 euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The only saving you'd make is the €13.50 + €3 and you will need a customs account and fill in all the paperwork, know the commodity number, call in person to their office, bring the release form out to UPS and then finally get your package! - Or let UPS do it on their automated system and pay the €13.50

Duty on some clothing can be as high a 14%, VAT @ 21% is charged on item cost + delivery cost + duty. - Same if you brought it into any other EU country though VAT rates vary slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

Thanks very much, I'll pay the 13.50!

Advertisement