Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight

Options
  • 24-01-2007 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Come On You Spurs !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

get in the spurs!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bit sickened (as I'm sure we all are). Roll on a 0 - 2 win at the Emirates!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Absolutely Gutted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Well it all went pear shaped when Berbatov had to go off, and Jol changed a winning formation into something the players looked lost in.... why i don't know ..:(

well we will just have to do it the hard way and win at the effiminates stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Robxxx7 wrote:
    Well it all went pear shaped when Berbatov had to go off, and Jol changed a winning formation into something the players looked lost in.... why i don't know ..:(

well we will just have to do it the hard way and win at the effiminates stadium

Shows how little faith Jol has in Ghaly or Mido when he choose to bring on Keane in midfield! I'd have thrown on Mido up front so as firstly to retain some shape and secondly that he might do something useful to make Man City pay 3m for him and buy him!
    On next week if we go there without King and Berbs I really feaar for us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

If Spurs had won 1-0 or 2-0 last night, next Wednesday at the emirates would be spent trying to defend that lead! (And they showed last night that they're not very good at that!). At least 2-2 means that nothing short of a win will do, so they'll have to go for it. And Spurs being as unpredictable as they are, they could do it! A blessing in disguise maybe?

it also means that arsenal will play the 'kids' again.

which means we can do em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Who knows, maybe this is the great masterplan by Jol :rolleyes:

or yet again maybe not !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Robxxx7 wrote:
    Who knows, maybe this is the great masterplan by Jol :rolleyes:

Jol was shown up last night as a man who has no plan.

Tubby lumping long balls up to dwarves like Defoe and Lennon showed he's a bluffer who's Uncle Friendly exterior has seen him through results that would have others out on their ear. Big four months ahead of him now, if we don't win a tin or qualify for Europe we should show him the door.

I f*cking hate seeing us surrender possession to quality sides straight from our kick outs...:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Better luck next time lads.

Next weeks game is actually the first game Arsenal have had at home this season in the Carling cup. So i guess the kids will want to impress with an emphatic victory over tottedumb.

• Advertisement

ban this ****tard will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Can't wait to beat 'em at the Emirates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jank wrote:

Next weeks game is actually the first game Arsenal have had at home this season in the Carling cup. So i guess the kids will want to impress with an emphatic victory over tottedumb.

At least the kids draw fair and square; the last time the Arseholes beat Spurs they needed the help of the ref and linesman to award at least 2 dubious penalties..... :p

And as for the gob****e that flagged Keane offside last night :mad:

I've gotta be gracious and say that the "kids" were good for their two goals (helped by some atrocious clearances and defending, but that balances out when you consider that Arse scored for us) but if the linesman hadn't bolloxed it up it would have been 3-2.

Still, no point complaining; even at 3-2 we'd've had to score at least one in The Emirates to be certain of things, so no real change there.

C'mon ye Spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Being a Spurs fan is like having elation-depression syndrome. Bah!

Berbs injury was the key moment.

If we must have another big man, get rid of Mido and get in Crouch.

Christ did I just say that?

E.

jank wrote:

Here long enough to know about charters, bye bye...

Who's dumb now?

p.s. gentle reminder...play nice kids...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Of Jol:
    Remember when we played Slavia Prague in Europe this year, he was in an interview talking about how good a history they had and all this, but he was actually talking about Sparta Prague! He'd done all this bloody research on the wrong team! You could well be right therecklessone, a man with little or no plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Here long enough to know about charters, bye bye...

Who's dumb now?
    Sorry to disturb the clique, it's just I think WWM's personal abuse should be less tolerated than Arsenal fans...

Anyway, serious question - having come so close to finishing ahead of Arsenal last season, how far behind them do Spurs fans here now consider their club to be?

Or shall we wait until after the second leg to talk about that?

kinaldo wrote:
    Sorry to disturb the clique, it's just I think WWM's personal abuse should be less tolerated than Arsenal fans...

It's not a clique, its a Spurs supporters club. We'll tolerate what we want, thank you.

Kharn wrote:
    Of Jol:
    Remember when we played Slavia Prague in Europe this year, he was in an interview talking about how good a history they had and all this, but he was actually talking about Sparta Prague! He'd done all this bloody research on the wrong team!

I checked that out at the time mate, think that was the papers 2+2=5 TBH, nothing Jol actually said looked like he'd dot it wrong. They even had him talking about their impressive record in the UEFA which neither club had managed to achieve.

• Advertisement

I have to say, i think the criticism some of you are giving Jol is very harsh. Your saying he had no plan etc....he had a plan but it didnt work,big difference. He had to change things when Berb went off, and he felt the best option was to go with 433/451, whatever way you want to look at.
    His plan didnt work, it backfired...and we blew a 2 goal lead to them lot !!

He had a plan to beat Chelsea a few weeks ago which worked, some do some dont.

Im just as pissed off as the rest of you, but lets not become 'fickle' as we are so often known as. Yes its gonna be tough to beat them on there own patch...but be positive, I still think our best chance of succces this season is the Uefa...I can smell the part in Hampden already :-)

kinaldo wrote:

Anyway, serious question - having come so close to finishing ahead of Arsenal last season, how far behind them do Spurs fans here now consider their club to be?

i think you will find this isnt an open forum for anyone, but a hosted forum for spurs suppoerters, and as such, anyone can be banned for any reson what so ever.

and you only appear to be here to gloat about something. perhaps we could ask you the same question.

how come after years of flying high on alan shearers coat tails, what do newcastle supporters feel about being a mid table club at best.

i think you will find this isnt an open forum for anyone, but a hosted forum for spurs suppoerters, and as such, anyone can be banned for any reson what so ever.

There's a charter Eamo, and I banned him based on that, and that only.

its still a hosted forum, and as such, doesnt come under the general rules for boards.ie

you can ban anyone you like.

make me a mod, and i will happily do it if you want to remain in good standing with the rest of soccer forum crowd.
    i on the other hand am not worried about it.

kinaldo wrote:

Spurs losing out to Arsenal on the last day wasn't an indication of our relative strengths, no more than Everton/Liverpool the year before.

Arsenal had a poor domestic season last year (by their own standards), and found it hard to combine CL and league form. Spurs went out of both domestic cups at the first hurdle, so had only the league to focus on. We made the most of that, but relied on luck at times.

Arsenal are a better side than we are, there is little point in denying that.

make me a mod, and i will happily do it if you want to remain in good standing with the rest of soccer forum crowd.

Half the soccer forum crowd ignore me anyway, why would I care what they thought...;)

All I want is to keep this running as smoothly as possible, and definitely don't want to give ammunition to anyone who wants to piss and whinge about us having the forum in the first place.

Hatch99 wrote:
    I have to say, i think the criticism some of you are giving Jol is very harsh. Your saying he had no plan etc....he had a plan but it didnt work,big difference.

His overall stragey was flawed. Going from 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3/4-5-1 because of Berbatov's injury is fine, but if it ain't working you need to change again. That's my point, lumping long balls up field to small forwards simply surrenders possession, which is criminal when you're facing a side that are ripping your midfield to shreds. Jol is great at picking a side that that can exert control for phases of a game, but I worry is he capable of changing things when we are behind or on the back foot? Only Charlton away last season springs to mind of an example of us turning a game on its head, we've already had it done to us twice this month alone!
    Hatch99 wrote:
    He had a plan to beat Chelsea a few weeks ago which worked, some do some dont.

Therein lies the problem I fear...it worked against Chelsea, so why not try it for the rest of the season...that seems to be his thinking...
    Hatch99 wrote:
    but lets not become 'fickle' as we are so often known as. Yes its gonna be tough to beat them on there own patch...but be positive, I still think our best chance of succces this season is the Uefa...I can smell the part in Hampden already :-)

I'm a firm believer in giving Jol time to adjust to the English game, Ferguson had four years at ManYoo and was nearly sacked before he got it right. I will call the man on his errors though, nobody should be free from criticism. If he keeps making the same basic errors though, we should be looking at our options.

'His overall stragey was flawed'.
    Is this his overall strategy from the start, if so, why were we 2 up after 20 mins. To say his overall strategy was flawed is showing ignorance to the man and his abilities.

I worry is he capable of changing things when we are behind or on the back foot?
    We were behind against the champions and things changed. There is several examples of us coming from behind to change games since Jol took over, recently wigan,port vale, brugge..

If he keeps making the same basic errors though, we should be looking at our options.

I rest my case...forget the positive things like being in 3 cups at the end of January..in the running for Europe again...big difference to anything previous to last season !!

The man has changed our fortunes massively over the last 18 months...does any of that matter any more or do some of us forget all that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

and you only appear to be here to gloat about something. perhaps we could ask you the same question.
    Relax guys, no I am not here to gloat - sorry if my tone comes across like that but hey it's football we're talking about!

I only visit here to maintain an interest in Newcastle's rivals, and since you're being shunned on the soccer forum it's handy and local (and apparently we're welcome...).

I just thought it was harsh banning someone who was in breach of the charter for being an Arsenal fan only to then ignore the personal abuse which followed, considering there's also something in the charter about that. I won't lose any sleep over it though.
    how come after years of flying high on alan shearers coat tails, what do newcastle supporters feel about being a mid table club at best.
    Way to fly off topic! Ask me that on the soccer forum if you like but I don't think it's appropriate here.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote:
    'His overall stragey was flawed'.
    Is this his overall strategy from the start, if so, why were we 2 up after 20 mins. To say his overall strategy was flawed is showing ignorance to the man and his abilities.

Football match last 90 minutes, not 20. That's why we threw away leads to West Ham @ WHL and Sunderland away last season, trying to defend 1-0 leads by hoofing the ball up to their defenders. Same against Arsenal home and away. Tried to defend 1-1 for the last 20 minutes against Chelsea at the Bridge, lost 2-1. Did our best to throw it away against Blackburn @ the Lane, Mido's winner saving our blushes. And lets not mention letting a 2 goal lead slip at Leicester...:mad:
    There is several examples of us coming from behind to change games since Jol took over, recently wigan,port vale, brugge..

What were we doing being behind against sh*t like that in the first place?
    I rest my case...forget the positive things like being in 3 cups at the end of January..in the running for Europe again...big difference to anything previous to last season !!

The man has changed our fortunes massively over the last 18 months...does any of that matter any more or do some of us forget all that !!

I've forgotten nothing, but have the relative successes of the last 18 months blinded you to the team/managers failings?

I've been at 16 domestic games this season, I've felt comfortable with our control of the game at three of them...Charlton, Sheff Utd and MK Dons. Says it all really, two relegation strugglers at home and League 1 opposition away.

I'm not calling for the managers head now, I want him to succeed, but he needs to show signs of improvement, year on year. Wednesday was our first real challenge in either domestic cup, and we were almost turned over by kids. I'll be pointing to cup runs when we win one, not when we come close.

Advertisement