Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A definitve top 25 list - for a change

Options
  • 24-01-2007 5:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I am not using one for these top 25 lists, as I tend to disagree with them.
    But this is a fine collection of the top 50 games of all time - split into a heartscore section (i.e. the underrated and underowned classics, which might just be the best list Ive seen in a long time) and the usual headscore (i.e. the usual suspects.
    Worth a read here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

strange list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

wow that seemed more to be like someone's personal favourites rather than a panel of judges
    i agree with some of them
    resident evil 2 (even though REmake was better) super smash bros melee and sonic 2
    but come on banjo kazooie???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Eh thats a bizarre and somewhat random selection... No zelda? Each to there own I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Ya thats a bloody wierd selection of games...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty poor lists. Banjo Kazooie has aged badly as have Goldeneye and Perfect Dark which are patethic nowadays. lots of other bizarre choices. The compilers obviously haven't played enough games. Halo no.1? **** off.

That underrated list is crap as well. Too many modern games. Gamespot did a much better one about a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Halo number one thing is certainly absurd. Below HL2? Would barely make my own top 100.
    Thought the underrated one was refreshingly different though. A nice change from the usual. The other one is meh - we've seen it a hundred times before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the underrated one had far too many games that were well known and very successful, over 75% at least.

Here's the gamespot one. Far better imo:

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25underrated/index.shtml

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think the underrated one had far too many games that were well known and very successful, over 75% at least.

Here's the gamespot one. Far better imo:

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25underrated/index.shtml

Yeah that one seems more knowledgable. Havent heard of half of them, which I suppose is the point.
    Neither contain Psychonauts or Katamari though. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

What kind of top 50 game's list doesnt have ff7 0o

Yeah that one seems more knowledgable. Havent heard of half of them, which I suppose is the point.
    Neither contain Psychonauts or Katamari though. Shame on them.

The Gamespot one was done in 2004 before either game.
    What kind of top 50 game's list doesnt have ff7 0o

One that is clever enough to realise that FFVI, FFX, Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile and Panzer Dragoon Saga are far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I didnt see the orginal CNC on the list either

User45701 wrote:
    I didnt see the orginal CNC on the list either

Maybe because compared to Starcraft, Dawn of War, Total Annihilation, et al it's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

that list is total bull :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

The best two lists I've seen are the ones that take review scores from around the internet and magazines and average them...

http://www.gameratio.com/topgames.php

http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc/scores/

The above link is for PC, you will have to click on the other formats for their top games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"Averaging scores" -- now would that take into account the absolute bullsh*t scores that over-hyped/PR'd crapware have gotten over the years?

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    "Averaging scores" -- now would that take into account the absolute bullsh*t scores that over-hyped/PR'd crapware have gotten over the years?

Perfectly explains why craptastic Halo 2 is at the top of one of those lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc/scores/

^ Great list, DarthWraak. It's nice to see games like CM/FM and Wolfenstein: enemy territory up there.

I actually use that same site for music suggestions.

Advertisement