Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick excel question , generating text paragraph from cells

• 24-01-2007 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to use excel to generate text based on the entrys in particular cells

ie

for (a3) by (a4) from (a5) ect ect

anyone got any suggestions what to do i presume its done through a macro of some discription

Cheers

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Use the concatenate function. I.e. cell A1 has eoinf in it. In cell B1 type in:

=concatenate("This is a solution for: ",A1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

that looks like what i want ok . but it puts all the text in one cell.

would it then be possible to output this cell to a word file.

just remebered one thing some of these excel files will be read only so i wont be able to use the function on that particular file. any suggestions of getting around this rather than having to save a new version of the file and then run the function

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eoinf wrote:
    would it then be possible to output this cell to a word file

Within excel, use copy and then paste special -> values into another cell. Then copy that new cell and paste into word
    eoinf wrote:
    just remebered one thing some of these excel files will be read only so i wont be able to use the function on that particular file

Put the functions in a new file and link to the read only file

Advertisement