Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to stop someone using the net! or at least slow them down!

Options
  • 24-01-2007 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

heyguys,
    a new house mate has moved in and he doesnt speak English..."apparently"...and hes plugged directly into my router. im using it wirelessly but iv noticed that when he is plugged into it, the speed slows completely and wont work wirelessly. i pay the bill for it, but he seems to think that he is entitled to it. words dont work because he pretends to not understand and say he was told it was paid for in his rent.

im using a linksys wrt54gs router and would like to know if anyone has any idea how to stop him logging on to the internet with the wire. tried mac security, but that only wireless so i can only stop him logging onto it wirelessly. is there any setting it can use to stop him logging onto it through the ethernet port that anyone has any ideas of?

thanks in advance,
    also as i said, words dont work with him and its time for a little behind the back work....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

you could subnet the IP range down to four available address and then in your DHCP options use use address reservation to assign the remaining address to random MAC addresses, yes this reservation is ony for wireless but if all the address are preassigned It shouldnt give any address to LAN customers. Note I have not tested this but its what I would try on a home router with no LAN connection management options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

or you could create a firewall rule to block any IP other than yours from having outbound access ie block then on ANY destination on ANY port. This however would not stop him getting on the LAN...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

According to the PDF on the linksys site, pg 29
    (ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrt54gs_ug.pdf)

under the access restrictions tab/Internet Access.
    You can apply policy restrictions based on mac or IP.

Of course you've to password protect the router, and discourage him from plugging the computer directly into the modem in place of the router.

If he isn't tech literate, then just disabling internal DHCP on the router and changing it's internal IP address might do.

Of course Linksys is a bit careless with their bios writing. So it might be worth updating the bios on the router before getting annoyed at anyone.

Advertisement