Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband is broken at Dublin Airport - and lots of other locations too!

Options
  • 24-01-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Broadband internet access at Dublin airport remains as appalling as many other aspects of the airport itself.

Unfortunately it is not alone. While eircom has WiFi “available here” signs in Cork airport, the eircom WiFi service at CorkAirport hasn’t worked since the terminal opened!

Shannon is the only airport where broadband works fairly consistently, and is free.

Irish airports are not alone in broadband incompetence for the traveller.

Broadband access at most Irish hotels remains appalling or non-existent.

In many hotels, there is no WiFi or Ethernet connection in the rooms. Where Ethernet is available, the RJ45 connectors are frequently broken (eg Dublin Airport Great Southern among others).

Many other Irish hotels expect one to sit in their reception area while using the internet! Who wants to sit in the reception while they use the internet? In some hotels, one can’t even find a seat in the hotel’s “WiFi zone”.

In virtually every hotel on the Continent, Wifi works in every hotel room – as does the TV – with a choice of channels in several languages.

In most Irish hotels, if the TV is working (and the batteries aren’t dead in the remote control) they don’t even provide choice of language free to air TV channels to international business travellers . There are many free to air channels to choose from and they don’t cost a cent in fees to receive: CNBC (financial news), Deutsche Welle (German), TV5 (French), BBC World, France24 (English/French language news channel), Al Jazeera (English/Arabic news), TVE International (Spanish).

Throw in traffic chaos, disintegrated public transport, filthy taxi cabs that one often has to wait ten minutes for at Dublin airport – even at off peak times.

Ireland is the most international business traveller-unfriendly location in Europe!

.probe

Article:

Quote:
    Dublin airport offers Wi-Fi catch 22

You can't buy online and no-one sells the cards

By Tony Dennis: Tuesday 23 January 2007, 18:28
    THE INQ has just spent a frustrating afternoon trying to connect via Wi-Fi at Dublin airport in Eire. The 'buy online' option is bugged and none of the shops have scratch cards left.
    The Wi-Fi facility is operated by Eircom on behalf of the Dublin Airport Authority. There are plenty of active wireless access points alright. It's just that connecting to them is impossible.
    This INQ reporter tried every shop listed on the Eircom Wi-Fi zone welcome page. Most hadn't heard of the cards. Others didn't have any stock and only one bar claimed it had only recently sold out.
    Normally it would be possible to enter credit or debit card details online but that page just returns a server error.
    Most tantalisingly, Net Stumbler showed there was reputedly a 'public WiFi' access point in the facility but our notebook couldn't get a strong enough signal to connect.
    As one shopkeeper told the INQ. "Ah. Just sit down and read a book instead, why don't you?" Luckily the shops hadn't sold out of books. µ
    (Spelling mistakes are the property of the author of the article)

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37151

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya i remember i couldnt get it to work for me at kent station for me in cork and if there is one in colbert it wasnt working for me either

interesting that shannon is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

1huge1 wrote:
    ya i remember i couldnt get it to work for me at kent station for me in cork and if there is one in colbert it wasnt working for me either

interesting that shannon is free
    There is no WiFi broadband in any Irish Rail station. They purport to offer it in Heuston Station, but it has never worked any time I tried to use it.

Irish Rail could quite easily offer Wifi internet access on trains too, using one or more 3G / HSDPA networks to provide backhaul between the train and the internet. Help them to compete with the airline alternative and keep their passengers minds occupied and deal with business matters, while it takes about 3 hours of their time to do what should be a one hour train journey over their crumbling “permanent way”. They could offer Wifi in one or two carriages for starters. Many people use their laptops on a train (not to mention their mobile phones). It is a natural market for internet access.

It would also help reduce road traffic – making public transport more attractive – and thus reduce accidents and CO2 emissions etc.

.probe

Advertisement