Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wanted for very good home

Options
  • 24-01-2007 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Had a look on animals.ie but a lot of the dogs have been on there a while so not sure which are available or not...anyway I'm looking for a dog for my sister in the countryside. She's a real dog lover, have always had large dogs....so if anyone knows of a big dog looking for a really great home in the country, pretty much dog heaven let me know, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I probably sound like a broken record at this stage, but you should consider rehoming a greyhound. They're placid dogs, great with children, intelligent and clean, and very affectionate. There are hundreds literally sitting in shelters, but because of their reputation, they're not considered fit to be pets. Nothing could be further than the truth.
    There are loads of websites out there about keeping retired greyhounds, and I'm sure your sister would love to know that she was helping an animal in need.
    http://irishanimals.ie/greyhounds/index.html
    www.paws.ie (they have over 90 greys for rehoming, they're in dire need of new owners and donations, as they get dogs thrown over the wall and left at the door - they're the lucky ones i guess)
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Have a look here: http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

All up to date and posted by the rescues themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There is no shortage of choice out there in the shelters and pounds(unfortunetly :mad: ) There are hundreds of of lovely dogs just waiting for a good home. Good luck in your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Sharpeshill Pound in Co. Wicklow is literally full to bursting with gorgeous dogs at the moment if you're anywhere near. They seriously need help with rehoming the post-Christmas glut of dogs.
    Hope your sister finds the dog she wants - lovely to hear of such a great doggie 'forever home' on offer
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Thanks to your advice and links I'm going to go to the dog pound in Inistigoue in Co Kilkenny at the weekend. It's a bit out of the way but they were very helpful on the phone and it sounds like they have a rake of dogs that would be suitable....I hope I don't want to take them all home :( I contacted rescue shelters in a few other locations but they do home checks and to be honest that put me off a bit....mainly because I want to surprise her but also I think it's a bit of an invasion....I understand completely why do they do it but I'm sure most people that visit a pound looking for a dog wouldn't be the careless type and genuinely want to give a poor dog the good home they deserve.

Unless anyone gets in touch on here before the weekend I'll head down to Kilkenny, thanks very much and I'll let ye know how I get on.:)

• Advertisement

Best of luck with that. Take pity on the older dogs who won't be rehomed as easily as a cute puppy!

While you're down that neck of the woods, it would be a shame not to call into Paws and have a chat with them ...... they're 15miles outside Kilkenny town.

Glowing wrote:
    Best of luck with that. Take pity on the older dogs who won't be rehomed as easily as a cute puppy!

While you're down that neck of the woods, it would be a shame not to call into Paws and have a chat with them ...... they're 15miles outside Kilkenny town.

It's actually always the older dogs we've taken in in the past....I think knowing they don't have much of a chance compared to a young pup tugs at the heart strings even more.

I thought Paws was in Tipperary now? I'll give it a look, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

May May I volunteer at a dog sanctuary and we always do homechecks and you know what - people who come to sanctuaries are NOT always caring folk who are a great home for a dog.

On various homechecks i found out
    a ) previous dog killed on the road as he was allowed out
    b ) previous dog given away because she kept getting pregnant
    c ) people who want a dog for a guard dog and tie them up
    d ) people who will not allow a dog into the home but keep them outdoors 24/7
    e ) people who want a purebreed on the cheap so they can breed it
    f ) Assholes who want dogs quick without questions asked to use them as bait / fighting

You couldn't be up to the nasty people , the sheer stupid people and the ones who just want a dog for the sake of having a dog.

I feel strongly that rescues SHOULD homecheck as god knows without a bit of research I could be ANYONE going into a sanctuary - pretending to be all nice there - go away with a vunerable little pup and be the greatest idiot and bad dog owner under the sun.

I admit that things can go wrong but at least the way I see it is people who are genuine and have nothing to hide would welcome a home visit.

I only briefly check their garden to make sure it's secure and ask a few questions. I don't look under the beds or anything.
    I think 10 minutes of my time is time well spent if it prevents just one dog from ending up in the wrong hands.
    Also I would want to meet the people adopting the dog. Suprising someone with a large unknown dog isn't always a great idea - I'm not saying you personally but I would be worried about the person not liking / bonding with the dog as they haven't chosen them themselves and bang wallop - back he comes !!

But good look at Inistioge - brenda is a lovely woman.

Sorry Suzy...from reading that now I suppose I was wrong to judge....I know not everyone out there would give as good a home as we would....I know it's a great idea, I suppose I just feel that for me personally there isn't any need but I know not everyone can be trusted.

Just got a rather catty reply on petsireland....who'd have thought wanting to give a good home to a dog would be so much hassle. When I say I want to surprise her, it's not like I'll just drop the dog on her doorstep and leave it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MayMay wrote:
    Just got a rather catty reply on petsireland....

Thats dissapointing. Maybe you got a cranky one on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Good rescues home check, so there will be no surprising! And what would surprise me is if the rescue would hand out under circumstances like this. Nothing against you and your good will - but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

MayMay wrote:
    Just got a rather catty reply on petsireland....who'd have thought wanting to give a good home to a dog would be so much hassle. When I say I want to surprise her, it's not like I'll just drop the dog on her doorstep and leave it :rolleyes:

maybe the reason you got a catty reply was down to the fact that whoever replied is fully aware of the thousands of dogs put down every year in this country as they are unwanted - many of which are bought as well meaning "suprises" - just a thought

also just a clarification - if you're going to Puppy Rescue in Kilkenny it is NOT a pound it is a rescue / shelter run by an amazing woman who devotes herself 24 7 to saving as many dogs as she can from being PTS in pounds by taking them in to her rescue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

None of the replies on PI are catty at all
    In fact I think they are all helpful and informative.

If you think people taking the care over the animals they re-home is catty then so be it !

No well one was.

Look it's my first time posting anything like this so I didn't realise the error of my ways....they obviously get posts like that all the time.....what they're doing is brilliant....but even if the dog didn't suit my sister (I don't see why it wouldn't though, we've had some right tearaways) it's not like I'd drop the dog back or something silly like that, I'd go out of my way to make it work.

All i'm saying is that I wasn't aware of the home check thing....I think it's great and I'm probably going to go down to Kilkenny with my sister at the weekend to see if we can find a suitable dog for her.

Thanks for your help.

Best of luck! Make sure to post up a picture of your new friend!

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    None of the replies on PI are catty at all
    In fact I think they are all helpful and informative.

If you think people taking the care over the animals they re-home is catty then so be it !

went over & read them after I'd posted & totally agree...... Saluki gave you some great advice - talk it all through with your sister - check she's ready - go together :) don't know where in the country you're coming from but the drive to Brenda's is beautiful if the weather's nice - enjoy & hope it all goes well!!! Home checks are very good in rehoming - dogs / cats / whatever - not only does it give the homecheck the chance to check everything is as the rescue was told it was but also the potential home giver has had time since they contacted the rescue to think things through & they can ask the homechecker for advice on any aspects that they want - having been on the checked side of things before I ever became a checker it's not overly invasive - it's a nice relaxed chat - the other side of what SuzyS said - I've been asked advice on whether garden walls where high enough to contain a dog, how to prevent kittens scratching furniture, the best areas within the home for cat beds / litter trays / etc, types of dog food, local vets & pet shops etc cattery & kennel recommendations also - it's not all bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    I feel strongly that rescues SHOULD homecheck as god knows without a bit of research I could be ANYONE going into a sanctuary - pretending to be all nice there - go away with a vunerable little pup and be the greatest idiot and bad dog owner under the sun.

I admit that things can go wrong but at least the way I see it is people who are genuine and have nothing to hide would welcome a home visit.

When I was younger I did lots of job interviews for jobs that I knew I would hate, call centres mainly, but I just needed the salary. Getting the job generally involved two interviews and a personality test or two. And I knew quite easily how to give the answers that the employer wanted to hear rather than tell the truth. So each time I got the job despite the long interview process. And anyone with half a brain can go through a homecheck and give the answers that the checker wants to hear.

How does looking in someones house tell you that they will be a good dog owner? How do you know that they own the house just because they say so and aren't renting with a lease that specifies no pets? How do you know that the dog will be sleeping in the livingroom as they tell you and not in the shelterless garden? How do you know that they really work part-time and aren't 80 hour a week workaholics? All that a homecheck really tells you is that the person you are checking out knows what you want to hear and acts accordingly.

I know that if you are caring for an animal you want to do everything you can to ensure it goes to a good home. But a lot of people are put off by the process of getting a rescue dog, and homechecks are a part of that. I hate the idea of having someone come into my house to tell me if I can have a dog or not. It is a million times easier to just buy a pup.

I am going to meet a dog tomorrow that I am hoping to rehome, and luckily I don't have to go through a homecheck to get him because I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. (I'd do it for the right dog, but I'm glad I don't have to.) My parents have a rescue border collie which they got from Limerick Animal Welfare, and they are wonderful dog owners. But there is no way they would have submitted to a homecheck. They would have bought a dog instead, and then both they and Rosco would have missed out on the opportunity of loving each other. How many other dogs are denied great homes because people don't feel comfortable with homecheck?

Thank you Iguana, that is what I was thinking but didn't put it across as well as you did.

Also what is the deal with dog pounds...I've never been to one and I'm not looking forward to it but I'm going to call to one tomorrow after having a chat with a girl at work today....I just think dogs in rescue centres have hope...most dogs in dog pounds don't....I have also worked with animals before with my line of work and I think/hope I would be a good judge as to whether a dog is suitable or not.
    Dog pounds...do you just show up, pick a dog and take it home? Or how do they work? Either way I know it'll probably be heartbreaking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

MayMay wrote:
    Also what is the deal with dog pounds...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2247369&postcount=9

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

maybe she would like a terrior mix he's really lovely trying to find a home for one he's a medium sized dog new kennel as well in the kildare area

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rhondadunphy

HI may may if your looking for a dog i have a six month old samoyed cross who is looking for a good home his mother is a samoyed , he is a lovely dog i have never heard him bark at all , he's not white like a samoyed hes a lovely light brown colour great with children and would love to live in the country i really want this dog to get a good loving home so if your sister is interested please pm me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hey

if you're interested we have a dalmation mongrel that needs a home. He is two years old, very spirited. We live in a town home so we dont have enough room for him, and we dont have the time with work to give him the exercise he needs.

We live in thurles town, tipperary.

Thankyou so much everyone but I ended up going to Dunboyne Pound and I'm very glad I did. I got a Labrador who already after only a week is a big part of the family. She's great with everyone, especially the kids. I'm so glad I went to the pound, she's a beautiful, loving dog and hopefully will be a part of our family for a long time to come.

The girl in Dunboyne Pound is lovely too and does a great job.

Thanks everyone.

and where might the photos be? :D

Advertisement