Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice needed please?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

At the moment i'm using a ripwave modem for connection,
    It's crap ,but it works slowly and I can't get broadband at my house.
    Eircom tells me the line fails a test and digiweb tested on my roof and said there was no signal.

My question is ,the vodafone broadband modem package thats available at the moment seems ok ,but it's only 5GB a month.
    I've never worked with caps at all ,would 5GB do for web browsing and picture viewing for one person ??
    Also would the cap included uploading aswell or are uploads not capped??

Thanks for your time

Brian.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is a unlimited for another tenner no?

Anyway, normal websurffing is unlikely to take you beyond 1 gig a month unless you have very picture intensive pages (I ran at around .7 gig a month for two months with around 3h a day surfing on newspages, mail, forum boards etc., no movies/youtube at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

really appreciate that nody ,I'm going to get a modem tomorrow .

I rang both vodafone and 3g ,vodafone has no limit on their pcmcia card.
    They have a 5GB limit on the modem.

3G seems ridiculous ,3.5mb connection with a 3GB cap :rolleyes: .50cent/mb after.

I think the vodafone usb modem is the best bet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd recommend the pcmia card because you can upgrade it (and I have a horrible burning hate for USB modems due to previous performance with them) with another SIM if you want to. As I recall the USB modems are locked to vodafone (this is from another thread here on the 3G/Vodafone coverage thread).

I thought the pcmcia card is 384kbs and the modem is 1.4mbs

Can't answer that one I'm afraid (:

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help ,I'll mention the extra tenner deal and see what happens.
    and i'll go for the card if it's the same speed.

Cheers.
    Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I ran cable from pc downstairs to ripwave upstairs,i have ripwave on windowsill .I GET 5bars signal,200k per second.BOUGHT rj45 cable 10metre mablins 20euro.plug one end into pc,take out short cable from ripwave modem,plug in your own cable,face ripwave in direction of the aerial ibb transmitter. Takes 2 secnds to load up a webpage, msn etc.YOU have to move it round abit to get the best signal.

I had the ripwave in my attic ,hanging from a srew and connected to a mimo router.
    It depends how far you are away from the sender.
    The speed is crap where I am ,it gets better after 1am and goes bad again at about 10am .
    It probably also depends how many other users are beside you etc ,etc.

my speed is at best 280kbps ,at peak when i need it 20-70kbps

Advertisement