Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband affect TV signal?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got NTL broadband which entailed a man calling round to attach some form of splitter (3 way connection thingy) to my analogue TV connection in the living room and I had to buy a router to send the broadband upstairs to my PC. Now prior to the broadband installation I had a 5 metre extension co-axial cable (bought in B and Q) attached to the wall cable so my living room tv could be moved across the room. Since he came and installed broadband the signal quality has deteoriated on 3 of the channels (RTE 1, RTE 2 and TV3). Now when I remove the extension cable it works fine.
    So it would appear that the splitting of the signal out of the wall point has rendered the extension cable unusable.

My questions are

1: Does broadband work out of all TV points and how easy is it to detach and refit (tools?) upstairs so I can move to bedroom TV point.

2: If one can't be done, can I buy a higher quality cable, whats it called and where can I get it?

I have tried to ring NTL tech support but its naturally busy all the time and they will just blame the extension cord out of hand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

never had any problem with signal quality, but the splitter you speak of is directly behind my tv, so there is only a ~1m cable going from this to the tv, for other tv's in the house, I have a splitter at the main junction box aswell.

im open to correction, but i think the splitter the ntl guy would have installed acts in a similar way to an adsl filter on a phone line.

id definitely try get some high-quality coaxial cable instead of the cheap stuff, itll stop the signal degrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yup, the splitter used outputs different frequency ranges, and attenuates the cable modem signal differently.

Also i believe the splitter needs to be above all devices in your home, like the eircom NTU, meaning its the first device on the line, with all other devices connected after it, which means, that regardless, your TV cabling will need to be connected to its output

Advertisement