Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamping

• 24-01-2007 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22

Came back to car today with a big yellow sticker on my window,no clamp though. Is this just a friendly warning or is the actual clamping not starting for a while.Notice people also seem to be more worried about where they park, and worse still it seems people are showing up earlier to get a good space meaning ill have to get up earlier to get in there and beat them:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

the SU presedent doesn't want to make it public just yet as to that situation. He will be alerting the college sometime next week, probably on Wednesday or Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

It is an absolute joke!!!!
    Complete an utter ridiculous measures,, seems to have been brought in with little or no regard to thinking this system thtough.

When i first heard about the clamping i thought it was just for cars parked in the disabled spots, on corner of footpaths, in front of fire exits / emergency exits etc... WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD ARE THEY AT, CLAMPING ALL THE CARS PARKED ALONG THE COFFEE DOCK, THE ROAD IN FRONT OF THE BAR, THE ROAD BIT BETWEEN THE 2 OLD CARPARKS ALONG THE BUSSTOP AND BASICALLY EVERY SINGLE CAR THATS NOT IN AN OFFICIAL PARKING SPOT??

We`re talking about 300cars when we add all these places up? Where do they think 300cars are going to go overnight? Its complete nonscense! None of this is neccessary. These cars parked in these positions are not a problem. The problem cars are the ones on the corner of the footpaths and in the disabled spots and the reserved spots.

Why suddenly have the parking spots i listed bove become targeted? Absolute joke.

AND WHAT DO THEY THINK THEY`RE DOING WITH THE E100 CLAMPING FEE? E100 for students parking to go to college?

We seriously need to do something about this NOW. I was tlking to the students union before xmas and they were getting a proposal ready and sending it in. I called into them again today and they said they`re organising something but wouldnt say what. But it doesnt look like they`re doing too much?? We havent received 1 single email from them at any stage?

Whats the best way for us to tackle this as we need to stamp this out now before it goes any further!!

the president and vice president went around campus and counted all these spaces aswell. They are going to bring it to the attention of the college that all these spaces are not officially recognised, and hopefully the problem will be rectified

Marts wrote:
    the president and vice president went around campus and counted all these spaces aswell. They are going to bring it to the attention of the college that all these spaces are not officially recognised, and hopefully the problem will be rectified
    They had better be recognised! Ive no problem as most of us dont, with clamping folk in disabled spots, fire exits, visitor reserved spots and parked on corners blocking drivers views but that clamper lad putting stickers on every single car not in a parking spot(about 300cars) is a complete retard. No common sense whatsoever!

If the college wont recognise these places as parking spots and insist with the clamping of the spots WE MUST GET TOGETHER AND PROTEST AND BRING THE COLLEGE TO A STANDSTILL! We cannot allow ourselves to be treated like this. I work hard for my car and to run/tax/insure it and i will not be parking it out on the streets beside the college when there is ample room for everyone within the college grounds.

Ps: The clamping should never have gotten this far,,,,, it should never have been introduced in any shape or form until the new carpark is built(extra 150places apparently), which according to my lecturers will not be built anytime soon despite the college saying it`d be built by October in time for the pay parking.

Another joke is the pay parking they want to bring in too,,, you`ll have to pay to park legally and pay clamping fees if parked illegally. They`re fleecing the students everyway they can because of their fook-ups and idiotic waste of money on past decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i agree completely with the arguement about the lack of space and the need for a new car park etc.. but them places you mention where cars park along the bar, coffee dock or whatever are a joke, theres no way cars should be parked there and clamping them is definatly the right idea, i mean the road to the carrolls factory has become one lane with the cars parked, same with along the bar, its a joke, its dangerous and thats why there not official spaces, a massive new car park is needed very badly and they way there goin about it is wrong but i completely disagree with your arguement for them "unofficial" spaces

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote:
    i agree completely with the arguement about the lack of space and the need for a new car park etc.. but them places you mention where cars park along the bar, coffee dock or whatever are a joke, theres no way cars should be parked there and clamping them is definatly the right idea, i mean the road to the carrolls factory has become one lane with the cars parked, same with along the bar, its a joke, its dangerous and thats why there not official spaces, a massive new car park is needed very badly and they way there goin about it is wrong but i completely disagree with your arguement for them "unofficial" spaces

Its not that dangerous for gods sake, just drive with a little more caution. So, where do you expect 300cars to go just overnight? Until the carpark is built they shouldnt be allowed to bring in a ridiculous clamping system. They shouldnt have been allowed to build that new restrauant that we dont "really" need before sorting out the new carpark properly which we need right now. Pity they cant spend the money wisely.

The students union should never have let it come to this,,, the clampers are in now so its gonna be harder for us to do anything.

fair enough its not that dangerous, its more annoying than anything else..

the student union must have worn themselves out a bit protesting against the cost rise in coffee? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 drivealive

I see their planning a protest for monday morning. Someones also put up a cut out from some paper in the engineering section about how a judge ruled clamping at WIT was illegal.

yeah, basically we come in and park where we normally do and then protest at the main gate???

is the clamping coming in on monday!?

the protest is meeting at the main doors yeh? as in the ones at the library?

• Advertisement

the clamping is going ahead on Monday. Members of the SU, and other volunteers, will be standing at all the entrances to the carparks and letting the drivers know firstly that clamping is in place, and secondly if there are any LEGAL parking spots.

The lecturers, AFAIK, are not going to back us up on this one because it's a protest, and not a strike, and most lecturers are immune to clamping anyway.

The lecturers, AFAIK, are not going to back us up on this one because it's a protest, and not a strike, and most lecturers are immune to clamping anyway.
    Typical, useless fooks. Sure, they`ll have a nice free carpark when the payparking comes in so they dont care. Might kill them to go out of their way and back us up. So they`ll only back us up if its a strike, i dont understand that? Are they that desperate for time off? Hopefully they`ll get clamped on return from their lunch break and cant get a legal spot, in the meantime.

What will our protest hope to achieve by the way, are we protesting against the idea of clamping fullstop,,, or are we concentrating on getting the college to recognise most of the "unofficial spots" as suitable parking until the new carpark is built. Personally i think we should concentrate on the latter at this stage!

Can someone please tell me the reason the clamping is brought in before the new carpark is built, i mean, wheres the common sense. And why has the carpark at the windmill being blocked off, i mean honestly, where is the common sense.

Im seriously starting to hate this college.

well I can't blame you for not liking the college, it's not the best.

The main point of the protest is to get rid of the clamping full stop. A lot of people are also pissed off with the paid parking, but that wouldn't bother me too much.

I think the clapming is being brought in to get more money out of the students for further development. A lot of colleges in Ireland have clamping in their carparks aswell, but none are as expensive as €100 to get removed.

Marts wrote:
    well I can't blame you for not liking the college, it's not the best.

The main point of the protest is to get rid of the clamping full stop. A lot of people are also pissed off with the paid parking, but that wouldn't bother me too much.

I think the clapming is being brought in to get more money out of the students for further development. A lot of colleges in Ireland have clamping in their carparks aswell, but none are as expensive as €100 to get removed.

I heard the pay parking will be €30 a week thats a bit much and it doesnt even guarantee you a legal spot to park!?

also heard that because of discrimination against students they have to clamp lectureres parked illegally aswell?? and that the lecturers union is prepared to order a strike if anyone one of its members gets clamped!? it all seems like a really big mess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Nuttzy wrote:
    Typical, useless fooks. Sure, they`ll have a nice free carpark when the payparking comes in so they dont care. Might kill them to go out of their way and back us up. So they`ll only back us up if its a strike, i dont understand that? Are they that desperate for time off? Hopefully they`ll get clamped on return from their lunch break and cant get a legal spot, in the meantime.

What will our protest hope to achieve by the way, are we protesting against the idea of clamping fullstop,,, or are we concentrating on getting the college to recognise most of the "unofficial spots" as suitable parking until the new carpark is built. Personally i think we should concentrate on the latter at this stage!

Can someone please tell me the reason the clamping is brought in before the new carpark is built, i mean, wheres the common sense. And why has the carpark at the windmill being blocked off, i mean honestly, where is the common sense.

Im seriously starting to hate this college.

typical

you dont even know what you are going to be protesting for?

typical

you dont even know what you are going to be protesting for?
    And, who are you again?

E30 a week is way too much for students, they must be desperate for money. If they spent wisely and didnt waste all the resources they wouldnt be in the mess they`re in, but sure burden the students with the expenses to make up their finances but dont dare charge the lecturers to pay.

Did we really need a new retrauant building? They must have went over budget on on loads of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

i just think its funny that you are so outraged and disgusted yet you had to ask what was teh protest for?

shouldnt you know that already?

event wrote:
    i just think its funny that you are so outraged and disgusted yet you had to ask what was teh protest for?

shouldnt you know that already?
    Yes,i agree, i should know, it`d be nice if the students union would let us know what the fook is happening. Obviously i know the main thing for protesting about, just wondering which particular thing we were going to concentrate on for Monday. Hardly the sort of "not knowing" that your trying to make out. :rolleyes:

were any of you on the picket line today?

I was, it was great craic. I dunno if it made a difference tho, all I can think of is that the clamping was put back one day, because there was no sign of the clamping truck (which is a pity, as we had our own clamp and were going to clamp his van)

I happen to be on the USI mailing list, and received this...
    USI HAILS VICTORY FOR DUNDALK IT STUDENTS IN PARKING PROTEST

5 February 2007

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) has hailed a victory for students who commute to lectures, after a demonstration today by Dundalk IT students – organised by DKIT Students’ Union in response to a new ban on student parking – forced a climbdown by management.

The decision by DKIT Students’ Union to organise direct action was vindicated when students secured a compromise.

Management promised 100 parking places for students. It further agreed to negotiate the overall parking policy with DKIT Students’ Union.

USI had backed DKIT Students’ Union in today’s action.

USI President Colm Hamrogue said: “Students from Dundalk IT have forced management to scale back on plans for a student parking ban that would have forced 250 students to park in local housing estates, causing misery for all those affected.

“While 100 parking places for students is just a start, it is an important victory, and represents a positive start to wider negotiations surrounding the new student parking policy.”

DKIT Students’ Union President, Niall Callery, said: “We welcome the outcome of today’s protest because Dundalk IT draws students from far and wide. For these students, public transport is not generally an option.

“The parking ban was unreasonable both to commuter students who depend on their cars as a lifeline, and to local residents who feared possible disruption caused by the parking needs of students evicted from their campus.

“We now look forward to discussing the overall parking policy with Dundalk IT management over the coming weeks.”

ENDS

For more information please contact:

Niall Callery, DKIT Students’ Union President 086 822 3861

John McGuirk, USI Eastern Area Officer 086 858 2351

Colm Hamrogue, USI President 086 858 1728

Daniel Wood, Press & Research Executive 01 4353400

Daniel Wood

Press & Research Executive

Union of Students in Ireland

www.usi.ie

T: +353 - 1 - 4353400
    F: +353 - 1 – 4353450

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

clampers are minus one soul

Thank christ, at least the college board of management are willing to be reasonable about the whole situation and actually create the new spaces before the clamping begins. At least thats what i hope is happening! Thats not very clear though.

Hey Marts, i was on the picket line for an hour. Would have said hello but obviously i dont know you! Ive a full day of lectures on a Monday but dont start until 10 so i went down to college for 9 and protested until 10.. The amount of useless fooks that drive but wouldnt go out in the cold was unbelieveable, you`d wonder about some people. What time did ye stay out until?

Howcome about 10 cars were clamped when i came out to my car at 5? I thought they were backing down until the new spaces are made?

@Myth - Thanks for showing us that article!

Nuttzy wrote:
    Thank christ, at least the college board of management are willing to be reasonable about the whole situation and actually create the new spaces before the clamping begins. At least thats what i hope is happening! Thats not very clear though.

Hey Marts, i was on the picket line for an hour. Would have said hello but obviously i dont know you! Ive a full day of lectures on a Monday but dont start until 10 so i went down to college for 9 and protested until 10.. The amount of useless fooks that drive but wouldnt go out in the cold was unbelieveable, you`d wonder about some people. What time did ye stay out until?

Howcome about 10 cars were clamped when i came out to my car at 5? I thought they were backing down until the new spaces are made?
    I was there from 9 to 11, and about 11:15 to 12. Eventually the morotists took heed of the signs and reasised they would not be able to park in the carpark without being clamped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 littlemizz

is the clamping company run privatly or council owned?? dey r useless pricks dat have nothin better 2 do then clamp us wen we have no choice but to park wereva we can find a space! alrite fair enuf if dey r parked in a disabled sapce or blocking an entrance than yes do clamp dem! they cnt clamp cars if their isn enuf space available to park!

littlemizz wrote:
    is the clamping company run privatly or council owned?? dey r useless pricks dat have nothin better 2 do then clamp us wen we have no choice but to park wereva we can find a space! alrite fair enuf if dey r parked in a disabled sapce or blocking an entrance than yes do clamp dem! they cnt clamp cars if their isn enuf space available to park!

I have warned people about this crap before. if you can't spell then don't post. It took me 5 minutes of re-reading to figure out what you were saying. for anyone else baffled by this... monstrosity I shall TRY and translate it:

is the clamping company run privatly or council owned? they are useless pricks that have nothing better to do than clamp us when we have no choice but to park werever we can find a space! Alright, fair enough, if they are parked in a disabled space or blocking an entrance then yes do clamp them! they cant clamp cars if there isn't enough space available to park!

I can only guess this is what she was attempting to say. repeat offences will result in a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 deathray 4000

Marts wrote:
    were any of you on the picket line today?

I was, it was great craic. I dunno if it made a difference tho, all I can think of is that the clamping was put back one day, because there was no sign of the clamping truck (which is a pity, as we had our own clamp and were going to clamp his van)
    well obviously it did make a difference but did anyone else hear the clamper showed up?
    and yes that clamp ruled shame it didnt fit me though i wanted to wear it

They`re were loads of cars clamped again today so is the above article a load of waffle or what. They`re not backing down if the clampers are still targeting every single "unofficial parking spot".

The above article is a bit ambigious, its not saying what "backing down" means. The only worthwhile thing the Board of Management can do is tell the clampers to fook off until next October when the extra space is completed.
    Anyone know whats going on? Are the clampers going to be put on hold until the extra spaces are created or what.

Howcome the students union never email us to let us know what is happening or at least keep us briefed. They didnt email us about the planned strike nor did they email us the results of it.

from what i understand the "backing down" only refers to the decision to allocate 100 free spaces where students will not be charged for pay parking and there is in fact no change with the clamping situation except the release fee is meant to be taken down from €100 to €90

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 littlemizz

Marts wrote:
    I have warned people about this crap before. if you can't spell then don't post. It took me 5 minutes of re-reading to figure out what you were saying. for anyone else baffled by this... monstrosity I shall TRY and translate it:

is the clamping company run privatly or council owned? they are useless pricks that have nothing better to do than clamp us when we have no choice but to park werever we can find a space! Alright, fair enough, if they are parked in a disabled space or blocking an entrance then yes do clamp them! they cant clamp cars if there isn't enough space available to park!

I can only guess this is what she was attempting to say. repeat offences will result in a ban.

SORRY for my little misdemeanor! i did not mean to offend!:eek: bad habit of texting lingo! i may run the risk of getting my head severly bitten off by asking another question but what is currently being done after the poor turn out at the protest? is there still negotiantions taking place or have they settled on an agreement of adding an extra 100 spaces?

Advertisement