Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are NTL going to improve their service?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

It's been far too ridiculous for far too long. How are they getting away with this terrible service? Does anyone have any information on when they might be thinking of changing their routing soon or anything? Because I'm on the verge of ordering BT :(

I can't take this anymore.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Em...Don't order BT unless you want to deal with a bill that you can't see for fees that are well above what they should be.

The are killing themselves with there billing system...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

havent been having any problems at all with ntl here (dublin 12)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

We have no problem with our BT bills we had some minor probs a few years ago but now we do all our billing via net and it's very smooth and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

i'm in Dublin 24, and have been using NTL for almost a year now, and i've never had a problem with it.

You mention routing, but what exactly is the problem, and how would you suggest they improve it? I really only use it for general browsing and downloading, is there a problem with gaming or something like that?

edit: spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes mang, some more details as to your problems might be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

HemmingSay wrote:
    i'm in Dublin 24, and have been using NTL for almost a year now, and i've never had a problem with it.

You mention routing, but what exactly is the problem, and how would you suggest they improve it? I really only use it for general browsing and downloading, is there a problem with gaming or something like that?

Yea for gaming its a fecking nightmare, Its all about the PINGS (well for me anyway) I dont know why but I play on an irish battlefield 2 server and get 90-100 ping!

you wont notice it really if you dont play games or anything for browsing and downloading stuf its fine!

EDIT: Im thinking of switching back to eircom!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

DeafVision wrote:
    Yea for gaming its a fecking nightmare, Its all about the PINGS (well for me anyway) I dont know why but I play on an irish battlefield 2 server and get 90-100 ping!
    Clicky for the link you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

HemmingSay wrote:

Sorry, I thought most people knew about the routing issues.

Basically I, and I think all NTL users, are being routed through amsterdam, and this is VERY bad for anyone who likes to play games online. around 8pm I've got 150+ ping and 20 packet loss to irish servers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

DeafVision wrote:
    you wont notice it really if you dont play games or anything for browsing and downloading stuf its fine!

EDIT: Im thinking of switching back to eircom!

I'm in Dublin 24 and I dont game ... NTL is a nightmare!

I got in the Digital TV 5 years ago and got the BB through that 4 years ago - 2MB line.

For the last 4 months is been dragging like a 64k dialup. I NTL BB is being stopped at the end of the month and Eircom is switching on.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

as was said in a thread yesterday, UPC (ntl) have started peering at inex so hopefully things will start to improve now.

https://www.inex.ie/technical/peeringmatrix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

stebishop wrote:
    as was said in a thread yesterday, UPC (ntl) have started peering at inex so hopefully things will start to improve now.

https://www.inex.ie/technical/peeringmatrix

Ah, well that is hopeful... I Don't want to keep this ping, but I also won't want to lose my 650KBs/64KBs connection :o

[edit] what do those numbers mean on that page you linked? The ones above the ticked boxes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mang87 wrote:
    what do those numbers mean on that page you linked? The ones above the ticked boxes

If you look down the vertical access you see the name of each company peering in INEX and a number next to each name. The number is the id for that company, so:

Verizon Business is 702
    HEAnet is 1213
    Cable & Wireless is 1273
    BT Ireland is 2110

Now if you look along the horizontal access you see the same numbers that match the names on the vertical access. Basically the numbers tell you what companies are peering with UPC.

To be honest, at the moment UPC aren't peering with many yet.

Advertisement