Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting idea for long driveway - (diagram included)

Options
  • 24-01-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Me and my gf have just received planning permission! So when its time to finish the driveway after the build, I'm planning a 'lighting scheme' for the driveway after the building is complete (I know Im thinking ahead). But Im not sure if it will work? Will it cost much? Or am I just plain mad. :p

See diagram.

Think 7 sets of lights, each set has a motion sensor attached. As you drive/walk up the driveway, the set of lights ahead turn on. (like lighting the path ahead). They then must turn off within a few seconds.
    The sensors must be turned on or off from inside the house. Also, all lights must be manually turned on and off from inside the house.

Few questions:
    1) How much will this cost? (can buy online)
    2) What exact materials do I need?
    3) Could an electrician do this with no fuss and for how much?
    4) Is it worth the hassle? (looks good in my head)
    5)Am I just plain mad? :eek:

Its a fairly long driveway going up a slope to the top corner of a field.
    Thanks, really appreciate input/ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Why not use ordinary lights that come on automatically at dusk? I think if the lights you have planned keep going on & off, it might get a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

smashey wrote:
    Why not use ordinary lights that come on automatically at dusk? I think if the lights you have planned keep going on & off, it might get a bit annoying.

I like the interactivity about the idea. Could get annoying, suppose I could regret it if the idea wears thin. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When you leave the house the lights will be lighting up behind you after you have passed them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What about a dual system? You would need two seperate bulbs per light unit. One very low wattage, say 5 watts, the other higher wattage, say 100 watts.

The low wattage lights come on on a dusk to dawn sensor and stay on giving a low glow along the driveway. The higher wattage are activated by a PIR at either ends (either will activate) of the driveway and all come on together and stay on for long enough to traverse the driveway. They go off and the low glow bulbs stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Hagar wrote:
    What about a dual system? You would need two seperate bulbs per light unit. One very low wattage, say 5 watts, the other higher wattage, say 100 watts.

The low wattage lights come on on a dusk to dawn sensor and stay on giving a low glow along the driveway. The higher wattage are activated by a PIR at either ends (either will activate) of the driveway and all come on together and stay on for long enough to traverse the driveway. They go off and the low glow bulbs stay on.

You can get these in B&Q now as a single unit.

A bit more thinking required because as Hagar says the lights would be behind you when leaving the house but the idea seems like a good one especially if the driveway is particularly long. How long is it by the way?

It shouldn't cost that much if you can get some poles to mount the lights on. Your biggest expense might be buying and laying the armoured cable.

If you are going down the road of decorative lamp standards then you are in a whole other would as far as cost is concerned. I'd suggest looking through some salvage yards but there are plenty of suppliers doing reproduction work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

squire1 wrote:
    A bit more thinking required because as Hagar says the lights would be behind you when leaving the house but the idea seems like a good one especially if the driveway is particularly long. How long is it by the way?

Estimate length 120 metres (400 feet approx.)
    squire1 wrote:
    If you are going down the road of decorative lamp standards then you are in a whole other would as far as cost is concerned.

Not going the decorative route. The expense would be a factor here. That said, I want to do a proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Loobz wrote:

Its a fairly long driveway going up a slope to the top corner of a field.

When I saw this first I thought you meant it was a mile or two up hill. Your other post then said 120 metres which is a nice length of drive way but by not really long enough for what your thinking.

You'd drive 120 metres in 12 seconds at 20 mph.

For your idea of 7 lights that's one every lighting every 2 seconds which would be very fast. If that's what you wanted just fit two adjustable delay on make relays to each light (one for each direction) worked off the live from one PIR at each end. Depends how cheap the relays were but an electrician would probably quote you 600 for the job just to avoid having to do the planning and work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Loobz wrote:
    Not going the decorative route. The expense would be a factor here. That said, I want to do a proper job.

Design schizophrenia!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hagar wrote:

Not so, you could use CFLs (17 Watt max rating would be more than sufficient for DW lighting). Positioning Bollards ideally on a staggered basis ie bothsides of DW to give a more even light distribution. You could also consider alternating CFL and LED fitting the latter rating 3W or less but would provide long lasting life albeit low glow illumination.

Advertisement