Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which version of Vista is right for me?

• 24-01-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I mainly use my PC for gaming and watching and making backups of my DVDs. And I do have a habit of upgrading my PC from time to time so I can play the latest games. Can anyone recommend what version of Windows Vista I should get? I am currently using Windows XP Home the Dell Edition.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Vista Home Premium edition (OEM) if that's the case.

If you don't care about the Aero UI you could just as easily get the Home Basic version, ExtremeTech have a full run down of the difference between the various editions.

If you want to upgrade your existing install without formatting you will need this but it is much more expensive than the OEM version.

Personally I would wait another month or two give ATI/NVIDIA time to stabilize their drivers if gaming is important to you.

Edit: Oh yeah if you swap the hardware in the PC a lot like CPU/mobo then you may want to consider the retail version otherwise you'll be on the phone to MS to reactivate it (after the initial activation) every few times you swap the core hardware. The retail version basically means you can re-activate as many times as you want over the net without having to call MS unlike the OEM version (allegedly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

I heard a rumor saying that you have to pay a fee everytime you activate an OEM version of Vista over the phone. Is this true:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

From what I can see online after a quick Google, yes it looks like you will have to buy a new license each time you activate an OEM version. Commercial versions have 10 online activations, and unlimited phone activations (as long as the hardware doesn't change too dramatically, in which case another license will be required as it will be deemed a new machine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

It all seems like a lot of expense and hassle for what is quite a disappointing OS.

Would XP not be fine for gaming and DVDs, at least for the moment? Microsoft announced today that they would continue to support it for a good while.

Regarding gaming, lots of developers have said that they're not really interested in DirectX 10 at all yet which is arguably the only reason that upgrading to Vista would be necessary. You'd also need a new gfx card.

I'm not so sure that is the case with Vista as there was a bit of a storm about the license issue till MS clarified it and then basically it turns out to be the same as XP.

When you call Microsoft you simply state just like with XP OEM the reason to reactivate is the motherboard or whatever was damaged & replaced & they go through with the re-activation or at least that's what's being said on other sites. I have yet to verify that myself but I tend to trust the comments on Ars-Technica's forums as they are usually well informed.

Hexus are also saying the "retail OEM" versions are not like the full OEM versions which are tied to a machine.
    It all seems like a lot of expense and hassle for what is quite a disappointing OS.

Would XP not be fine for gaming and DVDs, at least for the moment? Microsoft announced today that they would continue to support it for a good while.

Everyone said the same thing from the transition of Win2K/98 to XP, XP is crap why do we need this etc. It does actually have improvements over XP and early reviews that despite it's flaws it's still the best version of Windows yet.

Personally I'm going to wait another 4-6 months before switching my main PC over so third party software will be more compatible & in general things should be a little more polished. I will use it on my notebook in the interim to get to grips with it and see how things take shape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Everybody is saying they will wait a few months before upgrading to Vista.

Vista has been officially released to Corporates and MSDN suscribers (Basically all the Microsoft partners, including NVIDIA and any other application developer in December 2006).

It basically means all the MS partners have been actively working, given this 2 months period, and even before with the Beta and RC versions, to re-rewrite device drivers and applications for Windows Vista.

It simply means once Vista will be released, most of the manufacturers, software editors, will have updated software ready on the 31st of January 2007 when Vista will be released to the public.

Now of course I can not tell you for sure you will have udpated drivers and apps for all your usual stuffs, but most of them will eb available at the end of this month.
    Personally I am using Vista Ultimate at home since november and dispite being lost a little bit at the beginning, it is working very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

with regards to the license of OEM from reading a lot over on the ocuk forums it comes down to this.

OEM vista can be activated as many times as you want on the same pc. you can change components in the pc no problems, but if you change your motherboard that is seen by microsoft as a new pc.

so you can upgrade everything (cpu/ram/gfx card/sound card/NIC) without having to buy a new license, but once the motherboard is changed you have to get a new license.

microsoft will only allow a change of motherboard if yours becomes faulty and a suitable replacement

this above is what i got out of reading this thread over at OCUK
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17672576

i've vista ultimate running here, works like a charm. i haven't started gaming yet as i'm trying to sort out some files but might get around to it tomorrow or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have RC2 running on my laptop and it is sweet. I'm waiting for my free copy of Home Premium from MS, as soon as that comes its going on my desktop :)

Cremo wrote:
    with regards to the license of OEM from reading a lot over on the ocuk forums it comes down to this.

OEM vista can be activated as many times as you want on the same pc. you can change components in the pc no problems, but if you change your motherboard that is seen by microsoft as a new pc.

so you can upgrade everything (cpu/ram/gfx card/sound card/NIC) without having to buy a new license, but once the motherboard is changed you have to get a new license.

microsoft will only allow a change of motherboard if yours becomes faulty and a suitable replacement

this above is what i got out of reading this thread over at OCUK
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17672576

i've vista ultimate running here, works like a charm. i haven't started gaming yet as i'm trying to sort out some files but might get around to it tomorrow or so.

That's what I heard as well with the OEM version all you do is tell them over the phone (even if your lying) the motherboard was damaged and replaced and they will re-activate it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

Stephen wrote:
    I have RC2 running on my laptop and it is sweet. I'm waiting for my free copy of Home Premium from MS, as soon as that comes its going on my desktop :)

Can I ask why MS are giving you a free copy of Vista Home Premium?

• Advertisement

There was an event for Microsoft developers on recently where copies of VHP were given to attendents. Needless to say, boards found out and a number of non-developers got in instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

8T8 wrote:
    That's what I heard as well with the OEM version all you do is tell them over the phone (even if your lying) the motherboard was damaged and replaced and they will re-activate it for you.

not so with vista. the way activation keys are generated is that it takes the hash keys* of you're hardware and if your motherboard key changes it shows up in the activation key that you have to give microsoft.

now i am possibly talking the biggest load of bollocks in my life, but it's what i got from reading forums over at ocuk. they seem to know their stuff :cool:

*don't know if this word was made up lol

Cremo wrote:
    not so with vista. the way activation keys are generated is that it takes the hash keys* of you're hardware and if your motherboard key changes it shows up in the activation key that you have to give microsoft.

now i am possibly talking the biggest load of bollocks in my life, but it's what i got from reading forums over at ocuk. they seem to know their stuff :cool:

*don't know if this word was made up lol

Hmm had not heard that before interesting... but it would not be very effective even an OEM computer can have a different motherboard replaced under warranty that might get a different hash so there is no real way for MS to know either way if your lying or telling the truth.

Also in this thread this person & this person confirm the Vista OEM version re-activated after the mobo died on them & it was replaced even by a different model.

Basically doing the same thing that XP OEM does so it is business as usual I think.

Still I believe I will use OEM Vista on my notebook & HTPC as those are rarely ever messed with I will probably get the retail version for my main PC in a few months time.

ExtremeTech have this on their site from a MS rep;
    In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially, but they will be forced to reactivate – not repurchase the OEM software – if they do, she said.

Seems pretty much same deal as XP even if the legal terminology sounds stricter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There was an event for Microsoft developers on recently where copies of VHP were given to attendents. Needless to say, boards found out and a number of non-developers got in instead.

It wasn't for developers. It was a Technet event, which is normally aimed at general IT professionals. I was one of the ones legitemately invited too, before the boards rush :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Stephen wrote:
    It wasn't for developers. It was a Technet event, which is normally aimed at general IT professionals. I was one of the ones legitemately invited too, before the boards rush :)
    Me too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Does any one know if you can downgrade to xp again if you find Vista just isnt for you??

mathew wrote:
    Does any one know if you can downgrade to xp again if you find Vista just isnt for you??
    Backup, format and reinstall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Backup, format and reinstall.

Fun!! I hope its for me... waiting on my free Home Premium Edition.. from what I've heard so far it doesnt seem to be the greatest!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ya that was a pain I had all my files on a seperate drive thinking they'd be safe if I needed to downgrade from RC1, which I did as I couldn't load most my software. But all Vista drives are now useless and need reformating or just gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

The answer is here

• Advertisement
Advertisement