Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road signs & Gaelic - time for a change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

dvega wrote:
    Irish is worse than it was 10 years ago and it seems to be getting worse.Irish speaking ppl tend to learn it through family tradition rather than at schools,unless their made learn it.
    What's your basis for this and how do you explain the massive increase in interest in Gaelscoileanna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

JC 2K3 wrote:
    how do you explain the massive increase in interest in Gaelscoileanna?
    Fluoride in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

CuLT wrote:
    It's all ching chong bong to me.

HAAAAAAATE CRIIIIIME!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What's your basis for this and how do you explain the massive increase in interest in Gaelscoileanna?

Sharon Ni Bheoláin, Hector O Heochagáin agus Ríona ó Ros na Rún

An Ghaeilge just got a whole lot more gnéasach:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sharon Ni Bheoláin, Hector O Heochagáin agus Ríona ó Ros na Rún
    An Ghaeilge just got a whole lot more gnéasach:cool:

This two are pushing me even further away from the irish language!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dvega wrote:
    Most ppl tend to learn a different language so it can benifit them when they go abroad,hense why would you like to learn irish when you can already speak english!

Irish is worse than it was 10 years ago and it seems to be getting worse.Irish speaking ppl tend to learn it through family tradition rather than at schools,unless their made learn it.
    I always get a laugh out of people with a grudge against the Irish language. Especially when their English is so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I reckon that they should bring back whatever language was spoken before the Celts invaded. Those buggers invading and forcing everyone to speak their language is a little hard to take. Can we have signs with at least three languages on, or perhaps four with a bit of Esperanto thrown in for good measure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ejmaztec wrote:
    I reckon that they should bring back whatever language was spoken before the Celts invaded. Those buggers invading and forcing everyone to speak their language is a little hard to take. Can we have signs with at least three languages on, or perhaps four with a bit of Esperanto thrown in for good measure?

This is how I feel about fundamentalist gaelgiori (or whatever way it's spelt)

Aren't you Scottish?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

JC 2K3 wrote:

Because my mother is a teacher.
    Ask yourself if irish wasnt mandatory in our schools,how many students would learn it?

I dont have any grudge whatsoever,but there isnt half enough gaelscoilenna's around the country the nearest one from me is in kerry or waterford which are both 2hour drives.

Maybe its just where i live but the only people i know that can speak fluent irish were my teachers at school!

• Advertisement

dvega wrote:
    Because my mother is a teacher.
    Ask yourself if irish wasnt mandatory in our schools,how many students would learn it?

I dont have any grudge whatsoever,but there isnt half enough gaelscoilenna's around the country the nearest one from me is in kerry or waterford which are both 2hour drives.

Maybe its just where i live but the only people i know that can speak fluent irish were my teachers at school!

Therein lies the clique... Why build more gaelscoilenna when the language is already taught in all primary schools as it is? Why not just change the Irish in the classroom to make it more user-friendly? You don't need to make it more accesable to everyone because I'S ALREADY ACCESABLE TO EVERYONE.

Julep - who's scottish?

I thought you were Scottish. must have mistaken you for someone else.
    All you people look the same to me.
    Must be the font.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Therein lies the clique... Why build more gaelscoilenna when the language is already taught in all primary schools as it is? Why not just change the Irish in the classroom to make it more user-friendly? You don't need to make it more accesable to everyone because I'S ALREADY ACCESABLE TO EVERYONE.

You can't claim that the level of Irish you'd learn in a regular primary school is the same as the Irish you'd learn in a Gaelscoil, doing all your lessons in it and speaking it all day long, by the end of your time in a Gaelscoil you would be properly fluent.

And its not just people who speak irish who send their kids to Gaelscoils either, my parents spoke no irish and still don't and most of the people in my class spoke no irish at home either. So thats nonsense.
    You might think its seriously dying out but theres nearly 80 people in my year alone in Irish in UCD which is more than alot of the subjects you'd think would be more popular.

Also to whoever says they don't post letters to Irish addresses is waffling cos i've never had any trouble either in school or in college or posting letters in Irish to anywhere at all.

And to be honest i don't know why someone would want to change all the signs for no particular reason other then to try to confirm that Irish is dead. But hey, some people really hate it for some reason. I just don't get worked up about it anymore. Whatever makes you feel better. :) (just in general, this bit not directed at IkkyPoo!)

Phew, that was a long one.

You can't claim that the level of Irish you'd learn in a regular primary school is the same as the Irish you'd learn in a Gaelscoil, doing all your lessons in it and speaking it all day long, by the end of your time in a Gaelscoil you would be properly fluent.

And its not just people who speak irish who send their kids to Gaelscoils either, my parents spoke no irish and still don't and most of the people in my class spoke no irish at home either. So thats nonsense.
    You might think its seriously dying out but theres nearly 80 people in my year alone in Irish in UCD which is more than alot of the subjects you'd think would be more popular.

I never did claim it. I said that getting kids in regular primary schools enthusaistic about Irish is far more productive then simply building gaelscoillena. You have to bring it to the masses, not sit back and expect the masses to come to you.

Also, I never claimed that only kids from Irish backgrounds go to gaelsocilenna, I said it was my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Dublin Bus have already removed the Irish placename from the digital displays most of their new fleet, so it's beginning already.

I was quite surprised to see that most people in the poll wish to have the signs changed so that both languages are equal... hmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I agree

I am not Irish

But i think Irish language boards should stay.Ireland has a culture and it needs to be protected.

and Irish people should be proud of their culture just like everyone else

Diversity is good if used properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

As Ireland moves further and further away from independence, and as the Gaelic language gradually becomes extinct, it is about time that the Gaelic clutter on our signage is phased out?

Here's a classic example. The old green sign with interesting Gaelic script, and the modern blue sign with the visually bland italics – italics which are gradually replacing all these old signs.

gaelic9wl.jpg

As a modern ex-British colony with very little Irish culture left, isn't it about time we reflect our current status as people?

Let me guess, you live in Dublin 4, right? Step outside of the nation's capital and you'll see that Ireland is full of culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I was quite surprised to see that most people in the poll wish to have the signs changed so that both languages are equal... hmm

The poll I'm looking at has it at about 60/40 against those who want to change the signs for bigger or equal irish...

dlofnep wrote:
    Let me guess, you live in Dublin 4, right? Step outside of the nation's capital and you'll see that Ireland is full of culture.

What, like the rose of tralee and the National Anthem played on a hammond organ by retired farmer at t he end of a night's alcoholism?

Dublin Bus have already removed the Irish placename from the digital displays most of their new fleet, so it's beginning already.

But the destinations serviced en route are still in Irish. Pisses me off no end, that - thank God I'm not a resident of the city any more.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    What, like the rose of tralee and the National Anthem played on a hammond organ by retired farmer at t he end of a night's alcoholism?

Through music, language and dance. Afterall, that's culture, is it not? take a step into Galway, or any medium city in Ireland. All the pubs are distinctively themed with traditional Irish music.

Go to a Gaeltacht. You'll see Irish culture present in every single one of them. We play gaelic games, hurling, football.. Are these also not apart of our culture?

Do you think foreigners look at Irish and say "Hey, that Ireland place is a bit bland.. Not culture at all". Of course they don't - They are aware of our music and our passion for everything we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

You complete dickhead. Have you a shred of shame in that airhead of yours. Irish is my first language and I am proud to be able to speak it.
    I suppose you want the National Anthem changed as well.
    I feel so angry when people spout sh!te like this. I really wish I could have a face to face conversation with the likes of you to find out your morals.
    Imagine, this is the kind of Country Ireland has become. I feel sorry for you to be honest.

I didnt have to read anymore posts after this one, i totally agree with this responce.

Do they not change back and forth between Gaeliga and Eniglish? The ones I have seen do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd just be happy if they stopped Irish being mandatory for secondary school onwards, last time I used Irish: getting an honour in the LC, 8 years ago. I'd much preferred to have spent my time on another language (besides french), or to be able to do another subject (I had to give up my favourite subject History to do Physics, I'd have gladly given Irish the K'bosh).

It's a pity that my kids will probably have to spend hours learning something thats so useless to them.

If that happened, i'd be happy to let the gaelgeoirí have their writings on signs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

I was born a Gael & always will be a Gael Just because a deplorabley bad education system has left me unable to write properly in Gaelic doesn't mean it's not my language. If any language is to be phased out it should be English.

astrofool wrote:
    I'd just be happy if they stopped Irish being mandatory for secondary school onwards, last time I used Irish: getting an honour in the LC, 8 years ago. I'd much preferred to have spent my time on another language (besides french), or to be able to do another subject (I had to give up my favourite subject History to do Physics, I'd have gladly given Irish the K'bosh).

It's a pity that my kids will probably have to spend hours learning something thats so useless to them.

If that happened, i'd be happy to let the gaelgeoirí have their writings on signs :)

It wouldn't be useless if the educational system altered the way Irish is taught so that all the children are fluent. The language would be very much functional then and the importance of maintaining our heritage would be upheld. There is nothing more heart-warming that to see two kids ag caint as gaeilge.

Our language was weaned out to suit Britain, not Ireland. But we can change that.

You have to be delusional to think that^

astrofool wrote:
    You have to be delusional to think that^

To think what? Elaborate please. The penal laws anglicizing of Ireland is the reason the language began to die out. It's not rocket science. They British banned Irish from being taught in the 1800's in the national schools system which even further ruined the Irish language. Shortly afterwards, it became a minority language. It's in your history books. Go look before you call me delusional.. :)

I stand by my original statement: Our language was weaned out by Britain.

dlofnep wrote:
    Through music, language and dance. Afterall, that's culture, is it not? take a step into Galway, or any medium city in Ireland. All the pubs are distinctively themed with traditional Irish music.

Go to a Gaeltacht. You'll see Irish culture present in every single one of them. We play gaelic games, hurling, football.. Are these also not apart of our culture?

Do you think foreigners look at Irish and say "Hey, that Ireland place is a bit bland.. Not culture at all". Of course they don't - They are aware of our music and our passion for everything we do.

I'm not saying that Ireland has no culture, I'm saying that it bores the arse off me. And before you attack the post bear in mind that it is MY OPINION, NOT FACT.

Most fireigners, from my opinion, see Ireland as being horribly organised and very commericalised.

I agree with astrofool, in that the langauge should become optional after secondary school. But, as I;ve said earlier, the only way it;s going to be revived is to teach it in such a way the kids WANT to choose it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Irish being compulsory in schools really annoys me, especially since I still have to study it now. Ive dropped down to pass because I don't want to have to waste any effort on Irish.
    Ive also got a campaign amongst pass students to do as bad as they can in Irish without failing, just to bring down the average and make people wonder why we still make Irish compulsory in schools.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    I'm not saying that Ireland has no culture, I'm saying that it bores the arse off me. And before you attack the post bear in mind that it is MY OPINION, NOT FACT.

I'm not attacking you. I assumed your post was an indication that you felt there was no culture or lack of.
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Most fireigners, from my opinion, see Ireland as being horribly organised and very commericalised.

That's a very bold thing to say. Have you cared to ask any of them? Anyone foreign I've ever met who came here were very much intrigued by Ireland. I do agree, some towns can take advantage of this fact and become very commercial about it. That's tourism though, right?
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    I agree with astrofool, in that the langauge should become optional after secondary school. But, as I;ve said earlier, the only way it;s going to be revived is to teach it in such a way the kids WANT to choose it.

Everyone has the right to study whatever they want. It's a free nation. I agree with that. I think the problem lies in primary teaching, not secondary. If the kids learn to enjoy it instead of loathing it - there wouldn't be a problem. The problem lies in the way irish is taught. In wales, welsh is taught in a very different manner and they seem to embrace it. From my understanding, alot more people are fluent there in their native tongue than we are here. If it works there, why not here?

No matter how you teach Irish, there will be kids who do not enjoy learning the language, as with any subject. Forcing them to do so post primary school is a waste of their time and the school's time, as it is a skill they will rarely call upon, unlike Mathematics or English.

If anything we're quite lucky that Irish was virtually wiped out, as it has made Ireland a very competitive place for companies to move to, and allowed Irish people to move abroad with much greater opportunities than if they did not speak English. And regarding identity, my language is not who I am, and does not define what I can express and how.

Forcing us back into using a dying language is never ever going to work, yet making it compulsary is protecting Irish advocates from the reality that were it made optional, it would be abandoned by students in droves.

If it were to happen, it has to happen naturally by giving people a choice (like they do in Wales.....).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

dlofnep wrote:
    The problem lies in the way irish is taught.
    Thinking back over how I was taught Irish, it was all reading comprehension... read this Irish article and answer some random questions about it... which lead to me scanning for keywords, looking them up and getting a general idea of what the article was saying specific to the question.
    Eventually you just get good at solving these puzzles, while actual comprehension isn't improved.

I've also had Irish classes where you'd arrive in and be told to write down the passage of Irish from the blackboard into your copybook (for 10-15 minutes while the teacher twiddles his/her thumbs)... people would then take turns reading it aloud (~10 minutes, more thumb-twiddling)... then the teacher would yap about it for a while.
    Seems to me like badly thought out busy-work with learning being optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

astrofool wrote:
    it is a skill they will rarely call upon, unlike Mathematics or English.
    Give me some examples of how Leaving Cert English and Maths teach people useful skills.

dlofnep wrote:
    That's a very bold thing to say. Have you cared to ask any of them? Anyone foreign I've ever met who came here were very much intrigued by Ireland. I do agree, some towns can take advantage of this fact and become very commercial about it. That's tourism though, right?

I've lived in four different countires for a combined period of five years. That's pretty much the consensus.

dlofnep wrote:
    Everyone has the right to study whatever they want. It's a free nation. I agree with that. I think the problem lies in primary teaching, not secondary. If the kids learn to enjoy it instead of loathing it - there wouldn't be a problem. The problem lies in the way irish is taught. In wales, welsh is taught in a very different manner and they seem to embrace it. From my understanding, alot more people are fluent there in their native tongue than we are here. If it works there, why not here?

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    the langauge should become optional after secondary school.

Australians aren’t forced to learn Australian Aboriginal, Americans aren't forced to learn Navajo. Why should Irish people be forced to learn Gaelic? What makes Ireland different to the other colonies? C'mon guys. It doesn't really make any sense at all does it?

Ireland is a colony and needs to build it's culture from that, not a culture of the long-dead people. Umm, make sense?

By all means, let the remaining Gaelic population do whatever in the Gaeltacht, but it has nothing to do with OUR own heritage.

I personally think that these minority language should be gently phased out, they are an awful drain on resources. I think they should shift the populations of these Gaeltacht areas around, maybe give them free houses in English-speaking areas so that they can absorb English.

I refuse to pay taxes for these micky mouse languages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A
    Ireland is a colony and...*blah blah blah*

emm no it isnt, no matter how much you wish it was :rolleyes:

Australians aren’t forced to learn Australian Aboriginal, Americans aren't forced to learn Navajo. Why should Irish people be forced to learn Gaelic? What makes Ireland different to the other colonies? C'mon guys. It doesn't really make any sense at all does it?

Ireland is a colony and needs to build it's culture from that, not a culture of the long-dead people. Umm, make sense?

By all means, let the remaining Gaelic population do whatever in the Gaeltacht, but it has nothing to do with OUR own heritage.

I personally think that these minority language should be gently phased out, they are an awful drain on resources. I think they should shift the populations of these Gaeltacht areas around, maybe give them free houses in English-speaking areas so that they can absorb English.

Firsty, apologies for typo, my post should have read "after PRIMARY school".

Now, there was a time when I'd have agreed with you, but it's become clear that there's a bit of a renaissance going on and a of peope are enjoying it and power to them. Give everyone the chance to learn it, but also the CHOICE to NOT learn it.

There are worse things out taxes are being spent on, such as govt jets for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Christ above, what country are you talking about? I could have sworn we were a republic, not a colony. Australians don't learn aboriginal because it is ALREADY a dead language and is the language of a different race. Irish people learn irish because we ARE Irish. What the hell is the "Gaelic population" anyway? Have you ever been to the gaelteacht? If you had been, you might notice the much richer degree of unique Irish culture in these areas compared to the rest of the country, art, music, language, traditions etc. Absorb english??! How many non-english speaking gaelgóirs do you think there are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

What a steaming pile of cr*p. You really dont have a clue what your talking about. Every fact you portray is untrue and every opinion you've made seems deeply flawed.

You do know that people living in Gaeltachts can speak english aswell as Irish don't you?

I'm guessing your not old enough to pay taxes, as your post seems very nieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

indeed.
    and ive been asked in australia if people in ireland wear flak jackets when going to the shops.

you know, just in case a gun battle goes off.

They do that in Limerick already, making it complusory in the schools down there from next September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

kevmy wrote:
    They do that in Limerick already, making it complusory in the schools down there from next September

:rolleyes: how original and witty of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

kevmy wrote:

With so much utter crap being spouted on this thread you had to add that to the mix well done. :mad:

Personally I speak Irish almost everyday and I dont live in a gaeltacht area. We speak it at work (tourism) so the customers cant understand us.

Also when on holidays my mates and I speak it constantly so not to get confused with english.

Having the signs in Irish is essential as it keeps us reminded of the country we are in which I feel some posters on this thread have forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

astrofool wrote:

Forcing us back into using a dying language is never ever going to work, yet making it compulsary is protecting Irish advocates from the reality that were it made optional, it would be abandoned by students in droves.

If it were to happen, it has to happen naturally by giving people a choice (like they do in Wales.....).

Confused :confused:

On one hand your saying that if it was made optional everybody would abandon the language....but then you believe the best way to revieve Irish would be the Welsh method - making it optional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Keep it civil please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

ARRRGGGHHHH!!! Why are you people writing without knowing any facts?? You guys and your word vomit just saying any oul sh1te that comes into your head because you know you don't have an argument apart from the fact that you don't like Irish because you can't speak it. Boo hoo! I can't do maths, let's take it off the curriculum. I had to learn French for 6 years. I have no intention of going to France.

Companies don't set up here because we speak English. hahah! it's because of the tax breaks. Why are so many Western companies in Africa and Asia? And pulling OUT of Ireland to go there? Cheap wage perhaps?? No... definitely because they speak English.. Nice one.

I wish people would stop going on about how Irish is taught in primary school. Icky-Poo and dlofnep I'm looking in your direction! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: How many of you have looked at an Irish text book or been in a rang Gaeilge (Irish class) recently? Oh, none of you...???

Irish class is all games, CDs, videos, pop songs, ICT, drama, role play, useful activities and every day occurences e.g. ordering a pizza, creating postcards, doing PE through Irish etc. Grammar isn't even taught separately. Irish is the funnest subject to teach and the one I've had the most positive reaction from. The children in an Irish class should be doing 70% of the talking in pairs or groups.

Children have NO dislike of Irish, they have NO PROBLEM picking it up. They're sponges. Irish is supposed to be taught through Irish (which the majority of teachers don't do) the children don't have to respond in Irish, but as long as it's spoken around them and visible they pick it up and voluntarily speak it back. That's a PROVEN FACT.

Agreed it should not be compulsory at second level, (but then so should learning any other language imo). And the syllabus needs to be reviewed and updated and made more relevant. More emphasis on spoken and colloquial Irish, not poetry and sean focal. It's all about attitude and nothing more or less. Like it from a young age, and you're flying. And thankfully, Gaelscoils are on the up and up.

I Love Irish. I will fight to protect my native tongue. It is MY RIGHT to speak it and I'll be damned if I let that be taken away from me!

Aussies speak Aboriginal? I believe someone has already argued that point, but I want to add, cop the fcuk on! Have you any idea how the Aborigines are treated in Oz?? They are not allowedto learn their mother tongue. They WANT to. The white Aussies don't have to learn it cos it's not their native tongue. Unlike Gaeilge in Ireland.

If Jaysus mcFeck and the rest of the Irish haters want Anglicised place names, I'l have you know that "Dalkey" is actually called "Thorn Island", Dun Laoire is "Laoire's fort" and "Killiney" is "Leine's daughter's church" in English, which we should all be speaking, right? .....So enjoy translating them. Bally means "town". Start on the Ballyplaces first. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XguUakcsB7M

Here, Scoil Críost Rí, rang a sé, nuacht video. Fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Bravo. Excellent post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Lil Kitten wrote:
          Irish class is all games, CDs, videos, pop songs, ICT, drama, role play, useful activities and every day occurences e.g. ordering a pizza, creating postcards, doing PE through Irish etc. Grammar isn't even taught separately. Irish is the funnest subject to teach and the one I've had the most positive reaction from. The children in an Irish class should be doing 70% of the talking in pairs or groups.
          For how long, at what level, and in which schools? Never heard of any of that going on around here, and I have a primary school aged sister.

Lil Kitten wrote:
          ARRRGGGHHHH!!!
            I wish people would stop going on about how Irish is taught in primary school. Icky-Poo and dlofnep I'm looking in your direction! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: How many of you have looked at an Irish text book or been in a rang Gaeilge (Irish class) recently? Oh, none of you...???

Children have NO dislike of Irish, they have NO PROBLEM picking it up. They're sponges. Irish is supposed to be taught through Irish (which the majority of teachers don't do) the children don't have to respond in Irish, but as long as it's spoken around them and visible they pick it up and voluntarily speak it back. That's a PROVEN FACT.

Will have to check that with the kids when they get back from their friends. They don't like it, they've expressed a dislike for it, as have their friends and the reasons are simple: 1) Boring 2) Pointless. When I read the paragraph about it being the funnest langauge to speak, they'll crack up!

This bit
            Children have NO dislike of Irish, they have NO PROBLEM picking it up.
            I find extrmely dubious. If it's true, why aren;t they speaking it amoungst themselves out of school?

1. Advertisement
          Advertisement