Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux query

• 24-01-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭

just wondering which is the most commenly used linux software in the market place at the moment im trying to get spec'd up. Just plan on installing it at home messing around networking etc.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

Hi,

I find red hat fedora core is a nice distro. it has all the bells and whistles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unix\Linux forum.

From the looks of things there, people seem to be mainly using Ubuntu, certainly it has gotten a lot of recommendations as a first venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ubuntu was what i started out with, relitivly easy, however for mp3 and dvd playback etc, i need to install extra packages, i tried automatix and easy ubuntu for this and they both contain alot of the more common software you'd want. Ubuntu was quick and easy to pick up.

I recently had a look at linux mint which is another distro. but iirc is based on ubuntu but has all the codecs etc already on the distro. And (im open to correction on this) is developed by some irish guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

www.distrowatch.com

personally i like suse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Try one, if it doesn't work out then try another. They're all free (money wise, not time wise!). I tried ubuntu first but had a fair few problems with it. So then i tried Fedora Core 5 and it works fine for me. Wireless card is probably the item you'll have the most trouble with, but more and more of them are been supported now so its becoming less of an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement