Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

booting problem

• 24-01-2007 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

story lads..
    ive got a compaq evo n600c, bin running xp home on it for about a year or so..
    during the week it was doining its usual windows upadate and half way through it i needed the laptop to do a bit of work on.. i cancelled the update and everythin seemd fine except the error saying it hadnt been completed, when i rebooted the laptop it gets as far as the windows loading page and then says "systemroot\windows\system32\autochk.exe program not found - skipping autochk

ive tryed starting in safe mode etc and to no avail.. it just keeps doin the same, restarting, i have the xp disk here somewhere but i can find it.. i made a copy back when i got it, im using that now.. the problem with that is the bios is password'd and i cant change the boot sequence, its been like that since i got it.. the odd thing is.. now it might just be me not realising it.. but if i try type anything for the password nothing comes up in the password box.. not even "******"... it just stays blank. thought about flashing the bios the remove the password, checked up on it.. the battery is supposed to be under the mouse pad, its not.. thats the memory, the memory is supposed to be beside the processer.. instead of it is the grafix i think..

so in all.. if anyone at all has any ideas as to how im to get back into my laptop without having to format it.. (id like to keep everything thats on it) please let me know..

thanks in advance..
    kas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did you try a repair installation? Always a good way to go if you think system files are damaged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

by which you mean stick in the xp disk an try run it? yea.. but the boot sequence aint loading it first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry yeah.. should have read your initial post more thoroughly.

Hmmmmm.. that is a rhubarb of a pickle of a jam!

Some BIOS manufacturers implement a backdoor password.. might be worth looking into. Otherwise, i have no idea what to do otherwise. Can do practically anything from a XP Repair or Recovery Console but seems like you're pretty much stuck in limbo.

Best of luck!

dang... well im gunna make a a:\ boot disk and hopefully it decideds to read the external a:\...
    if not.. looks like a format job.

right.. i opened up the laptop.. it involved taking off the keyboard, openiong a hidden compartment and finding the battery.. i took it out altogether and now its let me boot from the cd

• Advertisement
Advertisement