Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty computer and my rights

Options
  • 25-01-2007 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I bought myself a nice computer at the start of January. It was an extremely good deal and I guess it was a little too good to be true because now my hard drive's packed it in apparently. I rang the shop I bought it from and they said I could have it repaired, replaced, or refunded. Here's where I have a few questions:

1- What are my rights when it come to replacements? The PC was a good deal, I'd have expected to pay twice as much for it. As far as I know those models are long sold out, I got the last one in the shop, and any models of a similar spec are at least €250 extra. Am I entitled to one of the same spec, or will they give me something that's worth the same amount of money, but is a crappy PC?

2- So lets say I choose the replacement/refund and it gets marked faulty and sent back to the manufacturer, or in the case of a repair, handed over to technicians. What happens to the stuff on my hard drive? The hard drive seems to have failed on me (I don't know much about the technological side of computers, sorry). I'm not too worried about losing my stuff because it's backed up anyway, but there's things like family photos, stuff I've written that I'd be embarrassed if people read(hellooo fan fiction i wrote when I was 15 :( ), personal details like people's names and phone numbers. Silly things like that. I recently read a news item about a guy who returned a hard drive and it ended up in a yard sale. So what're my rights? Can I tell them I want the hard drive wiped, or something similar, before they send it back? I know it's silly but I'm paranoid about things like that.

I'd really appreciate any help! Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

1) They replace the faulty component, not the whole computer.

2) They will replace the HDD and don't bother to look at any content on it. Normally with a HDD it is not worth trying to repair it and it is junked, if it is repaired it is suppose to be wiped before sale but even if wiped ten times someone with the tools could regain a lot of the information on it (very unlikely to happend though). You're going to have to take the companies word on that it won't happend because you will have no real way to track it after you hand in your PC (still remember a local firm who wanted to keep my PC longer so they could copy the games from it (; ).

If you want to keep the HDD simply go out and buy a new one yourself and then smash it to pieces, run a strong magnet over the parts and black bag it. Not 100% safe but as close as you'll get really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

just to add to nody's post if they replace the copmputer it will have to be one of the same spec regardless of price which is probably why they are offering you the refund option so openly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

It's also within 30 days of purchase which is when you are most protected as a consumer. If you like the PC and it was as much of a deal you'll prob have to take the repair to keep the machine itself. Otherwise you'll end up with your money back...and if your's was the last one you prob won't be able to get a replacement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kinder_bueno

I'm also just a bit worried about stuff like firefox, which has most of my passwords saved. But I guess I'll have to take their word! Thanks for the help. I had a look around at consumer rights, etc but I was unsure as to whether I'd any specific rights relating to PCs.

Advertisement