Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of curiosty?

Options
  • 25-01-2007 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

How big would a case have to be(in inches) to fit an 8800GTX?

Im looking getting one for my new pc and want to know(from people who might have one) what kinda size case would I big looking for?

Ive googled it and I need a fairly big(50" in depth or more) one but im trying to get value for money in buying a case :P

Also about the GTX is it really worth it over the GTS or would I be wasting my money?

Im only going to be playing the following games, Battlefield 2, Counter-Strike Source, Half-Life2, I most likely wont be playing any of the new games! Should I save an extra maybe €100 and go for the GTS?

Thanks

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

go for gts if your not useing a widescreen.the 8800gtx is 275mm long and that includes power connecters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Any normal ATX case should accommodate it though watch out for the placement of hard drives & SATA ports as both can get in the way depending on the design on the case or mobo. It's not a deal breaker but more fiddly to get at them with the card in the way.

GTS & GTX same at 1280x1024 with details maxed + 4xAA/16xAF, go higher and GTX pulls away.

If this is all you play (Battlefield 2, Counter-Strike Source, Half-Life2) get GTS as none of those are very demanding a GTS can still push 60fps on HL2 at 2048x1536 with AA/AF enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

this resolution "1280x1024" is the equivelant of 1600x1050 but the 1280x1024 is just the full screen resolution isnt it?

IgsTer wrote:
    this resolution "1280x1024" is the equivelant of 1600x1050 but the 1280x1024 is just the full screen resolution isnt it?

1280x1024 is a common resolution found on most displays traditionally non-wide screen displays like this, but most high end wide screen displays support the resolution as well.

1280x1024 is not the same as 1680x1050 roughly it's non-wide comparison would be 1600x1200.

ah..alri then i think i getya..:D

so would gpu's find it harder to run games in 1600x1050 resolution than those ran in 1280x1024 resolution..?

or actualy what my question should be.. is the 8800gts the best choice of card for 1600x1050 resolution gameplay taking that you dont have that much money to splash out on a gtx..but possibly could if it really meant something..?

• Advertisement

IgsTer wrote:
    so would gpu's find it harder to run games in 1600x1050 resolution than those ran in 1280x1024 resolution..?

Yes on a PC you are actually rendering at a high resolution unlike a games console like the Xbox 360 which renders at an internal fixed resolution like 1280x720 or lower and then scales the rendered output to the selected resolution. So rendering at a lower resolution like 1280x1024 is much easier on GPU's.
    IgsTer wrote:
    or actualy what my question should be.. is the 8800gts the best choice of card for 1600x1050 resolution gameplay taking that you dont have that much money to splash out on a gtx..but possibly could if it really meant something..?

Yes the GTS should be fine at 1600x1050 the GTX is just faster still so you have more head room in performance (assuming your cranking details/IQ to the max).

In order to run at 16..x.... resolutions or greater you need high end gear as when you enable AA it drains performance significantly at high resolutions. Of course not all games are the same so some are very well optimized like Source engine powered games so they run much faster at very high resolutions than say other titles which may be half assed ports with little optimization work done.

ah alright thanks for all that mate.. :D

i may have AA and AF enabled on games that have been released before now but for new games coming out that might be that more demanding ill be disabling aa and af for them..so hopefully will get good fps at max res...it should be ok for about a year or so i guess then..thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Thanks for the replies I think ill go with the GTS its cheaper like save me the money!

Im getting an sli mobo so within time if I did want to play better games I could always just add another GTS into it!

Also another question, should this card work with all motherboards? Im getting all the stuff of komplett and the GTS im looking at is not in the accessories of the motherboard and heres the GTS im looking at? Im guessing it should the last graphics card I bought worked without problems.. but it was agp?

Sorry if im not making sense I just want to get as much info as possible but im still pondering on whether to build it myself im pretty sure I could but before I go ahead with it I want to make sure everything is compatible!

Yes the GTS is compatible with that motherboard the accessories section are just product suggestions from Komplett not a definitive list of compatible products.

The board comes with two PCI-e slots all you do is insert the GTS into the top PCI-e x16 slot which is black the second one is blue which is for SLI support.

• Advertisement

Yea I wanted to make sure thanks :)

Advertisement