Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election

Options
  • 25-01-2007 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭

So when do you expect General Election 2007 to be held?

When do you expect (the main) polling day for the General Election 2007? 2 votes

February
    0% 0 votes
    March
    0% 0 votes
    April
    0% 0 votes
    May
    50% 1 vote
    June
    50% 1 vote
    July
    0% 0 votes
    Bertie's going to change the law and it won't happen for another 2 years
    0% 0 votes
    Coup!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

May!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Didn't Bertie narrow it down to a certain month when he went on Tuberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

IMO, May is when the general election will be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

thats odd i never knew that.
    One would assume that elections are at the exact same time every time to prevent manupalation to allow someone to hold there position longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

i vote coup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

User45701 wrote:
    thats odd i never knew that.
    One would assume that elections are at the exact same time every time to prevent manupalation to allow someone to hold there position longer
    It's a maximum of five years. But Bertie can dissolve the government at any time, so he can run it for 4 years and eleven months if he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

User45701 wrote:
    There are good, honest reasons that a general election would be called early: inability to form a government, a government seeking approval for a controversial agenda (see Germany), or a scandel that has weakened a government enough that it would be impossible for them tto continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

There are good, honest reasons that a general election would be called early: inability to form a government, a government seeking approval for a controversial agenda (see Germany), or a scandel that has weakened a government enough that it would be impossible for them tto continue.

or a snap election - called well before the term of government is up but at a time that the incumbents can't put a foot wrong and want to catch the opposition on the hop.

For example deValera in 1944 - or (for an example of how not to do it) Haughey in 81 (he was voted out of power).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Except that the opposition are watching out for this. They won't be caught out by a snap election. This time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Except that the opposition are watching out for this. They won't be caught out by a snap election. This time anyway.

I agree... well they'd want to be watching out for it at this stage - with 4-ish months to polling day!

If a snap election is defined as "any election that takes place earlier than scheduled", anything before latest possible polling date is, by definition, a snap election.

In my opinion the key element is catching the opposition completely unaware - so anything inside the final year of a term won't really achieve that as the cogs will be turning by that stage in terms of fund raising and campaign planning. [edit] So although it may be a snap election in theory, in practice it probably shouldn't be called one. [/edit]

In any case, barring some divisive issue, there is really no point in calling one unless the government can't put a foot wrong in the eyes of the electorate. Obviously that doesn't really apply in this case and although FF are guaranteed their 40% and confident of getting back into office, I don't think the PD's would be as optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The time has passed for when a election could be called a snap election.

I would define a snap election as one that occurs more than 6 months before the last possible date one has to be held. By that definition, then, if Bertie called one while in the midst of his financial woes, then it would've been snap. As we are within 6 months of an election, and as the parties have almost all finalised their candidates, internal polls are being conducted, this is the relative calm before the storm.

As remarked before, winter elections (like Feb/Nov 1982) are clearly not favoured by the parties. You will notice that tallymen would also remark on the weather; if its dry, expect a better turnout than if it were wet.

May 18th or 25th, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Bertie dissolved the 28th Dail on the 25th April 2002 and the 2002 election was held three weeks later on the 17th of May.

I'll say it will be quite similar this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

What is the latest he can legally go? IMO he will want to squeeze every last drop out of the press as he can, again...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Personally, I wonder if Bertie would go for 29th March so he can get in the "All Ireland elections" bit.
    What is the latest he can legally go?
    5 years after 17th May 2002 is the last day he can call an election and the election would happen in the following 3-4 weeks.

Only in profound circumstances would the situation arise where the 7 year limit in the constitution (as opposed to 5 years in the Electoral Acts) would be used.

Advertisement