Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jim Mc Cabe going to 104 breakfast?

• 25-01-2007 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Well is it true what I'm hearing. Jim Mc Cabe has is moving from DCM 106.8 to 104 to take over breakfast? Can't believe it if its true... Surely it too safe a move even for 104

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ahhh bollix. Now we have to put up with him AND Debbie Allen on air on the morning on two stations :mad: It was bad enough when they were on air together a few years back on 98FM.

FM104 and Q102 taking on ex-98FM presenters :o

Taxi anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i won't notice either way. 2FM will be my new home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Same here as long as they get some decent jingles and drop "Livin the life, lovin the music"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I heard that the two lads on the Spin breakfast show were been chased by 104.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Boy Wonders

I heard it was going to be Jim Mc Cabe with Sarah from DCAL Live Drive as the female voice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Right about Jim, wrong about DCAL woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Big Balls wrote:
    Right about Jim, wrong about DCAL woman.

Would the woman be Joan Lee by any chance? What sort of a reaction will 104 get from their advertisers to use Jim in the mornings? I'll be removing 104 from the number 1 preset on march 5th anyway...

bbability wrote:
    I'll be removing 104 from the number 1 preset on march 5th anyway...

That comment makes me wonder if you haven't switched it off already then if 104's new breakfast show is anyway half decent, you may only dip in and out of 2FM when the lads are on.

2FM will never do well in Dublin, Strawberries or no Strawberries and I'm just not sure if 2FM has that coolness factor to make people become loyal listeners.

Big Balls wrote:
    2FM will never do well in Dublin, Strawberries or no Strawberries and I'm just not sure if 2FM has that coolness factor to make people become loyal listeners.

i think the strawberries will take an awful lot of dubliners to 2fm (myself included), judging by the general reaction to the move. the only thing 2FM has to do now is keep a good daytime schedule so as to hold on to the listeners. it's true that if you get people in the morning, you can hold them throughout the day. gerry ryan may get a boost out of it... all 2FM have to do is put something interesting in during the daytime shift and use nights like BBC Radio1 or even PhantomFM, monday for metal, tuesday for whatever, wednesday for rap... etc. etc.

that'd be their killer lineup.

of course it's 2FM, so that wont happen and i'll continue listening to the strawberries, then quickly tuning back to Phantom afterwards.

i think the strawberries will take an awful lot of dubliners to 2fm (myself included), judging by the general reaction to the move.

Just bear in mind you're basing "the reaction" on websites and fans leaving messages. People who feel they want to contact a DJ on a bebo site etc Active listeners are not ALL your listeners. So the only "reaction" you can truly base things on is 9/12 months down the line when the JNLR comes out.

They had over 105,000 listeners in Dublin. 105,000 (or anywhere near it) people are not going to ditch a radio station because of one show moving.

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    Just bear in mind you're basing "the reaction" on websites and fans leaving messages. People who feel they want to contact a DJ on a bebo site etc Active listeners are not ALL your listeners. So the only "reaction" you can truly base things on is 9/12 months down the line when the JNLR comes out.

They had over 105,000 listeners in Dublin. 105,000 (or anywhere near it) people are not going to ditch a radio station because of one show moving.

you're right, but so far the reaction has been the extreme "i'm switching from fm104 for good". and it's a considerable number. how many of those people will text their mates to tell them to tune into 2fm for the strawberries? a lot, i'd say.

but like i said, it's in the morning that radio stations "catch" listeners. chances are if you find a good station in the morning, you wont be arsed to retune the dial when that show ends, so they have you all day. the two shows they need to catch people are during the morning and evening (the commuter hours).

but you are right, the JNLR will tell all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foolitz

Big Balls wrote:
    The only "reaction" you can truly base things on is 9/12 months down the line when the JNLR comes out.

That's a very FM104 spin to put on things 'Big Balls', but in the real World people do switch to follow the show they like and are used to.

Do you really think that Parkinson Show fans would have stayed with BBC when they exact show they liked was now on ITV? That they would miss the show the want for something not as good, just out of loyality to a station? No, they didn't, and neither will the loyal fans of Colm and Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IMO any Dubs that switch to 2FM for the lads in the morning (myself included) will quickly switch off afterwards.

The problem with 2FM is that it's a national station and so has to serve a national audience. It's precisely because they have to have a bit of everything for everyone, that they'll never do really well in any particular region... people like news and humor that's relevant to them.
    That's why the 2 lads worked so well on FM104, but why I'm not convinced the show will survive the move to 2FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Dub13 wrote:
    I heard that the two lads on the Spin breakfast show were been chased by 104.
    you must be joking... those 2 (Joe & Keith) are the biggest idiots on radio. can't believe how poor their sketches are.....

they're just NOT funny....:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

el diablo wrote:
    you must be joking... those 2 (Joe & Keith) are the biggest idiots on radio. can't believe how poor their sketches are.....

they're just NOT funny....:rolleyes:
    Agree with that... in fact, I can't find anything decent on the radio in the mornings now so I've just started listening to cd's.

Foolitz wrote:
    That's a very FM104 spin to put on things 'Big Balls', but in the real World people do switch to follow the show they like and are used to.

Do you really think that Parkinson Show fans would have stayed with BBC when they exact show they liked was now on ITV?

You get me the figures to support your argument and I'll start listening to you.

Did the Late Late show drop to 0 reach when Gaybo finished? No. The figures dropped somewhat (not anywhere near enough to risk getting rid of the show) and picked up again.

Nobody here is making out the lads are not audience pullers - they are - the point is, I doubt any station would ever suffer what you are trying to make out - TV or otherwise.

Big Balls wrote:
    Nobody here is making out the lads are not audience pullers - they are - the point is, I doubt any station would ever suffer what you are trying to make out - TV or otherwise.

hmm, is there any way to get figures for weeks where the strawberries had replacements while on holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Summer Loving

i dnt care im still goin2 listen 2 fm104 4 da phoneshow. y is mike hogan now on da strawerry? its just not as gud witout colm and jim...tear:confused:

When are they starting on 2FM...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Dub13 wrote:
    When are they starting on 2FM...?

Monday - can't wait - I've been listening to FM104 but it really is not the same. I never liked Niamh when she was ringing in to do her TV run down, now she's on full time. The guy is ok but it's all a bit .... ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

I think Jim McCabe's slotted in very well. Morning's on FM104 haven't sounded this good in years. Well done all and keep up the good work.

Radio Mad. wrote:
    I think Jim McCabe's slotted in very well. Morning's on FM104 haven't sounded this good in years. Well done all and keep up the good work.

LOL... Jaysus that's the funiest thing I've heard about 104 in weeks!! If second rate breakfast shows are your thing RadioMAD may you enjoy it!

Radio Mad. wrote:

Radio Mad = Jim McCabe....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Irish breakfast radio is diabolical. At least UK has Wogan and Jonathan Ross...

The strawberry alarm clock is as funny as a panto but seems to appeal to the Lucan/Clonsilla/"City"west/Celbridge 4.5 hours (I own me own house) moronic commuters.

Thank god for Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

bbability wrote:
    LOL... Jaysus that's the funniest thing I've heard about 104 in weeks!! If second rate breakfast shows are your thing RadioMAD may you enjoy it!
    Dub13 wrote:
    Radio Mad = Jim McCabe....:)

LOL...

I've always thought Jim McCabe was a good DJ and just happen to think FM104 sounds a lot better at breakfast with him at the helm. I know this seems to go against what you two guys and some others think.

Maybe I am really MAD, but so be it.

I never doubted Jim Mc Cabes on air skills for one minute. He's a true gent. I just feel that he's stepped into something that can only end in tears if its left to continue as it was prior to his appointment.

Advertisement