Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Halen reunion with David Lee Roth

• 25-01-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Sources tell Billboard.com a contract could be signed as soon as today for Live Nation to produce a 40-date amphitheatre tour by Van Halen this summer, with original frontman David Lee Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years.

As previously reported, guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features drummer Alex Van Halen.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with Eddie and Alex Van Halen after the tour's completion ("I don't get along with Eddie anymore, and that's all there is to it," he told Billboard.com in August 2005), although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Hagar recently told Billboard.com he was concerned Eddie Van Halen was asking too much of his son to have him join the band and promptly perform in front of thousands of people every night.

"That's a lot of pressure for Wolfie. Just 'cause he's Eddie's son doesn't mean he can go out and play in arenas and perform and entertain an audience for two hours," he said. "I would love to see Eddie and Alex get behind Wolfie, with a kid of his age singing, and produce the record for him and help him launch a career. I'd rather see it go that way than come out and say 'Wolfie's the bass player in Van Halen and maybe singing, too.' Van Halen's got way too much history to have that put on him."

:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

do i smell cheese or a reality tv show :D

anyway yeah thats a stupid idea gettin the kid to sing and play bass or anyone for that matter..

imagine going to see such a well extablished band and the kid messin up

its a lot to ask.

anyway i can't for the reunion..great band (no no way great guitarist :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

One thing springs to mind: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

brilliant. Santa brought Sean a keyboard and I haven't been able to stop playin JUMP since.. lol. what the hell's the deal with Wolfgang? that's a bit ridiculous... even if he is a child prodigy, which he may well be.. with EVH asa dad. but David Lee Roth back in the band is great news. come to EUROPE! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shakes head at the spandex clad horror of it all.

Mike.

Advertisement