Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding gear

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

Going snowboarding in early March for the first time (not expecting to be very good, but that's another problem). I'm planning to rent snowboard/boots/bindings, but I figured buying a snowboarding jacket may not be a bad idea, as a warm waterproof jacket is always useful in Ireland. I wasn't looking to spend too much on it, hopefully less than €200 and preferably closer to €150. From what I've read how waterproof it is and how breathable it is are the two most important factors, and as a first timer I presume how waterproof it is will be the most important factor. The measurement of how waterproof a jacket is seems to be how high a column of water can be placed on it without showing on the far side and seems to be measured in mm, thing is I don't really know how many mm will be enough. From what I've seen on the net I'm unlikely to get more than 5000mm in my price range, is this going to be enough?

Been looking on www.blue-tomato.com, which seems a pretty good site- but if anyone knows any better ones or anywhere in Dublin (or Galway) worth looking at I'd appreciate them passing it on. Also I've only been looking at the big brands I would recognise (like burton), which I'm guessing would be the most expensive, so if you know any less well known brands that make quality stuff don't hesitate.

Was also probably going to buy gloves and goggles, so if you have any good info on any of that stuff, again, I'd appreciate it. Going to rent pants as I may never use them again- so anyone know a good place in Dublin to rent? Or am I better renting on piste?

Sorry about the long post, but bit of a noob here! :(

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm not sure where you'd be able to rent sallopettes from but you might be able to borrow a pair from a friend if you ask them nicely. Otherwise have a look in TKmaxx and you may be able to pick up both the sallopetts and jacket for a very reasonable price, they might still have some gloves and goggles as well if your lucky. Otherwise your next cheapest place to buy stuff is probably Millets who might at least have a slightly better range to choose from than TKmaxx.

Advertisement