Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Home PC From Work

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I did a search and could not find anything smiliar :-(

I want to be able to access my home PC from work, if that is possible? The home PC is on all the time and we have a 3MB broadband connection so spped should not be an issue. Can you advise what my options are, how much the software costs (maybe there are freeware apps?) and also if it is likely that I will be able to connect from work as they have a firewall set up here? Perhaps there is software out there that will let me access it via a web page on the work side?

Cheers,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I used to have that setup myself. I started by using LogMeIn (the free version) which was really good but the fact that it installed a program on my work PC made me uneasy so I switched to TightVNC meaning I could access my home PC via Internet Explorer (by simply typing the IP in the address bar). Worked perfectly also!

I also had a stab at running Cerberus which basically makes your PC an FTP server which I mapped as a network drive on my work PC in order to be able to transfer files. However this could probably get you fired so I wouldn't advise it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I use tightvnc to do this. It is free and available on:

www.tightvnc.com

They have a web interface too so you can access via a browser.

You would need to configure a route through your router to your PC. Also
    you would need to know your IP address and it is preferable if you have a fixed one.

A

arctictree wrote:
    [...]Also you would need to know your IP address and it is preferable if you have a fixed one.
    That's why LogMeIn is pretty good. It doesn't connect via IP. You basically "Register" or "Sign In" the computers on their network then you can access them without knowing the IP (perfect when having a dynamic IP).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

That's why LogMeIn is pretty good. It doesn't connect via IP. You basically "Register" or "Sign In" the computers on their network then you can access them without knowing the IP (perfect when having a dynamic IP).

Nice one - I might install that on my sisters PC. Will prevent hours of 'support' phone calls where she's trying to explain to me what she sees on the screen. BTW - Do you have to configure a rule for it on the router?

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

To use logmein.com, you don't need to configure any ports on the router but you wil need to allow access through any firewalls on the PC or router

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thanx a million guys. Have just tried Logmein here at work and I was able to control my own PC, just done it as a test.

Will install it first thing tonight when I go home. Looks like I'm sorted now, he he.

Thanx again,
    M

arctictree wrote:
    Nice one - I might install that on my sisters PC. Will prevent hours of 'support' phone calls where she's trying to explain to me what she sees on the screen. BTW - Do you have to configure a rule for it on the router?

A
    It's perfect for assisting computer n00bs who haven't got a clue! :D I'm getting my sister a laptop for her birthday and I'll be installing LogMeIn first thing! Saves hours!!!

And considering it's a program running in Windows you don't have to mess around with the router! A very good app. indeed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Even if you get a dynamic ip address from your ISP, you can access your home pc using a proper domain name like "myhome.dyndns.org" by registering your ip address for free with http://www.dyndns.org - it will install a small program on your home pc which updates the dns database with your current home ip address.

With that, you don't have to remember your ip address, just your registered domain name.

But don't forget to secure your home pc properly!!!

matthiku wrote:
    Even if you get a dynamic ip address from your ISP, you can access your home pc using a proper domain name like "myhome.dyndns.org" by registering your ip address for free with http://www.dyndns.org - it will install a small program on your home pc which updates the dns database with your current home ip address.

With that, you don't have to remember your ip address, just your registered domain name.

But don't forget to secure your home pc properly!!!
    Very good tip Matthiku! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know there's probably better, but for ease of use I go with logmein. Except for the time I installed avg + firewall remotely on a logmein connected pc. Auto config of firewall didn't pick up logmein.exe. Had to drive over to click on yes! :o:D

MarkR wrote:
    I know there's probably better, but for ease of use I go with logmein. Except for the time I installed avg + firewall remotely on a logmein connected pc. Auto config of firewall didn't pick up logmein.exe. Had to drive over to click on yes! :o:D
    Oh man that's a b*tch! :o

Advertisement