Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Shooters - opinions please

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

All,

I am about to take the plunge and purchase a 9mm pistol. I am left handed, and I have handled and shot a number of makes and models (Cz, Glock, HK USP etc).

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices based on what fits my hand and how easy it is to manipulate as a left-hander.

I have shot a CZ-85 Combat in Midlands. A very nice gun, fits the hand, and easy to control.

I have handled, (and will shoot next week) a Beretta 92FS, and this also fits me well, and controls are easy enough to manipulate.

I know a good few CZ shooters use the boards, are there any beretta 92 users out there?

Any opinions on reliability, accuracy etc on both types?

thanks in advance

mosulli4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Dont have one meself but know a few who do. Very reliable, havnt seen any jams on the range and shoot straight. The Taurus is almost identical and a lot cheaper though!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rafer

Hi mosulli4
    I have a CZ75B , so I will give you my opinion of it , in terms of reliablity I have fired 1100 rounds to date (I record each session and rounds fired ) . The gun has functioned perfectly. It is very accurate, I have tried various makes of ammunition with no problems .I have found one brand , Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ to be very consistent , providing I do my bit. The couple of mods I did to the gun were to fit a Hogue one piece rubber grip and a strip of skateboard grip tape to the backstrap. This has improved my hold of the gun in a big way . Also because I am longsighted (I find it hard to focus on small near objects ) I blacked out the white dots on the rear sight and painted the rear facing portion of the frontsight in florescent red , I find it much easier to concentrate my vision on the front sight . The gun is very easy to strip , clean and reassemble .
    The CZ85 Combat is basicly the same gun except for ambidextrous slide stop and safety, adjustable rearsight and adjustable overtravel on the trigger . All in all a very good gun . Hope this is of some help to you
    Rafer

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

What about an SP01?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Thanks to all for the input!

I will let you know how things go next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭vlmaxis

You can't beat the Glock, find the model that works for you and you are guaranteed trouble free shooting, also great for practical, no external safety to worry about,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Personally i think the Beretta 92 is a big ackward ungainly lump of metal. I can't really comment on CZ75's cos i have'nt fired one but i have experience with the Browning Hi-Power on which their based and they are excellent. But my first choice will always be a Sig P226, IMHO it just does'nt get better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

Hezz, you are correct the sig is better but at twice the price it should be! A new 92 can be bought for about €900, the sig is over €2000, so I dont think it is fair to compare them.

As for Glocks, they are cheap and very robust but you either love them or hate them! True they are very safe and well suited to practical, large mag capacity etc. I dont like them because they are too plastic and every shot is double action. Trigger is not nice. Look cheap! But they are value for money and many people love them.

The Beretta looks great, is very reliable, the new 90two (see Beretta.com) looks even better and now holds 17+1 rounds of 9mm. Trigger is better also and front & rear sights can be changed. Two different hand grip sizes can be put on it which is great for people with smaller hands. Also new at €1100 with 2 x mags it is a bargin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

try getting your hands on a 2nd hand sti,great feel to them and more extras and add-ons than you can shake a stick at

STI's are fantastic, but a different leauge. Tighter tolerances on a more refined gun requires that more looking after.

Most people selling an STI will only sell it if it has fired so many rounds that it is sloppy or starting to get sloppy. I might be wrong, but I dont think you can get a 9mm STI.

It can be so much hassle to get a pistol that I would rather buy new, you know where you stand. If your price range is about €1000, you cant go wrong with the Beretta. If you arent happy with it and you have bought it in the North you can easily sell it and loose no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Glock Trigger job and Fibre Optic upgrade around €120

STI second hand, less than 3000 rds around €1500 and they do come in 9mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

flight93 wrote:
    Hezz, you are correct the sig is better but at twice the price it should be! A new 92 can be bought for about €900, the sig is over €2000, so I dont think it is fair to compare them.

My vote would be with the sigs, but you are way off with the price, brian duffy in galway has them for €1200 for 226,even cheaper online (www.triebel.de ) now if you want to buy the all singing and dance sig x-5 it will be over €2k. its alove em or hate em type of pistol.
    i know a fella who bought a ber 92 and found it was to large in the grip for him to control.
    dont forget the Hk usp starting at €750 fantastic reputation with abarrel life of 50,000 rounds.
    the glock is very user friendly to novice pistols, 2 friends of mine started of with glocks (against my advice ) one has now bought a sig 226sl the other a HK usp custom

Fair enough Dfaf, my experience with Sigs has always been great. Each time I asked the different owners how much they cost they always told me that they were €2100-2500. Perhaps they were all the "all singing all dancing ones".

Im not saying the Glock is a bad gun at all. I know they are great value for money, safe and reliable. It is just personal preference. I dont like them. I have only seen them give trouble when people have changed parts.

As for the STI's they are fantastic! If I could get one with less than 3000 rounds in good nick for €1500 I would.

Having said this, I still love the Beretta. Although it does have a long trigger pull.

Par Ordenence is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Don't get hung up in the details, looks , names ,price .. try to handle as many types as possible.
    Gun fit with a pistol is very important and something that is either too big or too small will never shoot properly for you.

Having said that I like the CZ stuff , Rifles or pistols, and have never come across anyone who has ever had a problem with them. They are reliable , well priced, accurate and well regarded.

In the end it's up to the shooter, go with the best combination of fit and price you can get. Start cheaper and work your way up to the race guns if you still want to or need to invest extra money in them later on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Where on Earth are you getting your SIG price? Two grand, my arse.

I have has no issues with my issue Beretta. The US Army's M9 is a 92FS. and the local cops carry it too. Yes, it's kindof ugly, but the trigger's nice, the pistol seems well balanced, and I have never shot less than 'Expert' with it on the army's qualification course. Only the Beretta and the SIG passed the US Army's reliability tests of the pistols entered.

I cannot make a comparison with the CZ as I've not shot it. My understanding is that it also is an excellent weapon.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

My Beretta was a little large for my hand and I ended up trading it for a Sig 239. Otherwise, it was well put together and reliable. There were some FTF's, but I think that was due to a bad magazine. I didn't care much for the slide-mounted safety.

Manic, clearly it depends on the model. Sigs are great (I dont have one!) and some of them are quite expensive (over €2000). Others may well be cheaper. I am not an expert on them, but I have seen some of them that have cost alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SIG

Have 226, Cost € 1450 Mid 2006. Prices Of € 2k Plus Are For X-5 Versions Etc. The 226 Not The Pretiest Pistol But Great In Use. Lack Of Safety Was A Worry But With Use It Makes Sense. Px Beretta And Walther 99 Lovelly And Cheaper. 92f Series Heavy But Solid. 1 Jam With 226 In Just Over 2000 Rnds. Worth The Money. Walther P22 A Great Fun Shooter And Easy To Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Sorry to hijack your thread mosulli4, similiar topic to what im askin is all!!!

Recently shot a sig p226, fantastic pistol, fell in love with it. Im interested in all types of shooting as im sure the regs have guessed by now. I dont want to just run out and buy a pistol. Was wondering what pistol clubs were
    close(ish) to the naas/newbridge/kildare area of kildare??? And whats the story about guests??

Before i get the "why not start with a .22lr", well simple im not gunshy, i dont flinch and really( all cockyness aside) i dont need to start small. im looking at the 9mm family end of. im sure someone will give their two pence anyway!!

All,

Well I shot the Beretta, as well as the Taurus copy, and although I did manage some decent groups, both these pistols were just too big for my hand with standard grips, and the trigger reach was too long. I shot the Glock 34 as well and got on really well with it. It fit me well, and was a case of point and squirt. Its a toss up between the Glock and the CZ-85 for me, and I will decide in about a week, once I get a price on the CZ...

regards,

mosulli4

PS- for you left handers out there - with practice manipulation of a right handed handgun is no issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Once again sorry to hijack but similar question - does anyone know a gunshop round Portlaoise where I could buy a pistol? Also a club close by. Thinking of a HK USP, any opinions on it?

• Advertisement

Give Pat Cooke at hilltop in newtownmountkeneddy, wicklow a shout. I was there last week, he was very helpful, and has HK USP, Glock, Beretta 92, Taurus, CZ, and revolvers available for viewing. I cannot stress enough how important handling and fit is, a everyones hands are different. It is almost like buying a shotgun...

check out www.pcquad.com to get contact details.He is a knowledgeable and accomodating guy...

regards,

mosulli4

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

did you buy yet ?
    I have a second hand cz85 just going on the market now,as I have got my new sig x5, It had its first outing in midland on sat and brought home 2nd in production , i was beaten by paul d and his glock but only by 1.4%. The cz is a great gun and i could not fault it I just needed a better gun to shoot the 1500s. fyi it has 9 mags standard and hogue grips trigger is the better pre b model ,holster and spare recoil and extractor spring .pm for details by the way I gave over 2100 for my x5. but it is a beautiful gun

zed

Oldzed,

see my PM

Regards,

mosulli4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

See PM.
    Regards,
    Rosahane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Taradusk

I have a Heckler & Koch pistol in 9mm. Some HK pistols such as the P2000 and P30 are ambidextrous firearms, meaning the controls can be used in left or right hand mode, ie, mag release, and slide release. Worth looking at, and are great quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ginoguns39

Hezz700 wrote:
    Personally i think the Beretta 92 is a big ackward ungainly lump of metal. I can't really comment on CZ75's cos i have'nt fired one but i have experience with the Browning Hi-Power on which their based and they are excellent. But my first choice will always be a Sig P226, IMHO it just does'nt get better than that.
    yes but do you know the price? €2,500 for the 226 and €850 for the cz..no contest.both make holes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ginoguns39

Rafer wrote:
    Hi mosulli4
    I have a CZ75B , so I will give you my opinion of it , in terms of reliablity I have fired 1100 rounds to date (I record each session and rounds fired ) . The gun has functioned perfectly. It is very accurate, I have tried various makes of ammunition with no problems .I have found one brand , Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ to be very consistent , providing I do my bit. The couple of mods I did to the gun were to fit a Hogue one piece rubber grip and a strip of skateboard grip tape to the backstrap. This has improved my hold of the gun in a big way . Also because I am longsighted (I find it hard to focus on small near objects ) I blacked out the white dots on the rear sight and painted the rear facing portion of the frontsight in florescent red , I find it much easier to concentrate my vision on the front sight . The gun is very easy to strip , clean and reassemble .
    The CZ85 Combat is basicly the same gun except for ambidextrous slide stop and safety, adjustable rearsight and adjustable overtravel on the trigger . All in all a very good gun . Hope this is of some help to you
    Rafer
    wheres my fobus holster ha

Advertisement