Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no such thing as a banker

Options
  • 25-01-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

who would have thought? was waiting on lyon home to bordeaux last night for a 5-team accumulator & they loose 2-1 :eek:

only 2nd game they've lost all season :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

its always the team you think will win no probs that let you down,its happened to me on numerous occasions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

you could have layed lyon on BF for a guaranteed profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Unfortunately every gambler learns the 'no such thing as a banker' rule the hard way!

ManWithThePlan's right, you should always have a look into laying the team your waiting on. Work out what it's worth to you on www.oddschecker.com -> hedge calculator.

Better luck next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Accum's arent the way to go either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

My old man didn't dispense with the life advice very often, but something he did tell me was that most punters were too greedy in their approach to placing accumulators. He always told me to stick to singles. Up the stake if you have to. But these 4/5 team selections are what bookies love to see coming in. That and those fantastic offers they put in their windows: "Shevchenko to score first and Chelsea to win 3-1". It's more like the lottery. Of course you'll get lucky occasionally, but you'll lose consistently. Too many variables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

No one consistently makes money betting on soccer results whether it's singles or accumulators. You are better off betting smaller amounts on accumulators than larger amounts on singles because you lose less. It's not fair that America has all the best betting sports :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

hotspur wrote:
    It's not fair that America has all the best betting sports :(

Why not just bet on them then? NFL is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

S.M.B. wrote:
    Why not just bet on them then? NFL is great!
    Definitely where I make the most money anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭wba88

aubreym wrote:
    who would have thought? was waiting on lyon home to bordeaux last night for a 5-team accumulator & they loose 2-1 :eek:

only 2nd game they've lost all season :mad:
    I had them to win aswell, i feel ur pain, but not as much coz i had a goliath on and still got a profit!
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Definitely where I make the most money anyway.
    Feel free to post tips, i occasionally wander into the PP NFL section.
    Accum's arent the way to go either.
    Ur right go for patent, heinz, lucky 31, goliaths etc;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

wba88 wrote:
    Feel free to post tips, i occasionally wander into the PP NFL section.

Well it's only the Superbowl to come this season, then its the long off-season. Superbowl money would probably be on the Colts this year, but I'd fancy it to be a lot closer than the odds would suggest so I'm steering clear. Chicago +13.5 at 1.34 isn't a bad bet at all, and if you're brave then a 1.08 on no overtime is worth a look!

All the odds are taken from Betfair btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

With regard to American sports NHL,NFL,NBA etc. can somebody explain why such obscure fractions are used in pricing up teams. Example: An NHL game tonight one bookie goes Calgary Flames 20/31 Chicago Blackhawks 27/20, a book of 103.33%. Why don't they just go 4/6 and 11/8 respectively (102.11%)? Is it simply a case of squeezing the most out of the book or is there some other reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

With regard to American sports NHL,NFL,NBA etc. can somebody explain why such obscure fractions are used in pricing up teams. Example: An NHL game tonight one bookie goes Calgary Flames 20/31 Chicago Blackhawks 27/20, a book of 103.33%. Why don't they just go 4/6 and 11/8 respectively (102.11%)? Is it simply a case of squeezing the most out of the book or is there some other reason?
    Think it is just squeezing the books. You'll see football (soccer) prices here of 21/20 etc now

Advertisement