Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - Wireless with Netopia 2247NWG modem

Options
  • 25-01-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Just got eircom broadband yesterday. I've got a Mac laptop which I want to access the net wirelessly. I set up the modem etc. and it runs fine when I'm using the ethernet connection.

However when I try to access wireless it asks for a password. I don't have one - tried my eircom password and broadband1 and neither work.

The CD supplied is supposed to guide me through setting up my Gateway - however all it seems to do when put in my Mac is provide me with drivers for the modem.

Do I need to set up the gateway through a PC first and set a password for my wireless access?

Anyone dealth with this problem before? The eircom broadband support site wasn't helpful and I don't have an hour for tech support right now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you need the default admin username and the password which is what appears in that web page on 192.168.1.154 when you start up , unless you changed it.

something like eircom@eircom.net

you do not need drivers, its ethernet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The ethernet connection is fine. It's the wireless connection that the trouble's with.

I've tried the default password from that page and it doesn't allow me access. It doesn't ask for a username though - just a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I have the same setup at home, when you finish running the software from the disk it should give you a Network name and a security key. The security key is the password you need I think, its about 26 charachters long and alphanumeric.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I think he's talking about the wireless connection password (WEP etc) Sponge, as it's normally on by default.
    OP you need to connect via ethernet cable to the modem for the initial setup of the wireless connection. Go to http://192.168.1.254 and click on wireless. You'll see the password/passkey there.

BTW they used to use the modem serial number (sticker on the underside) as the default passkey, so you could try that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fenla

Click On The Netopia Router Icon, On Desktop Ir Programs. When You Have Done That Click On Wireless. If You Change The Privacy To WPA-PSK, You Can Make Your Own Password(pre shared key).
    Hope This Was Help To You.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 thegoose

Run the CD and you should have an option to "Setup WEP" or "Generate WEP" key... you will be asked for the serial number on the wireless router... If you don't see this option run the CD from a windows machine and generate the WEP key that way. (The serial number of the router is printed on a sticker on the underside of the router...).

The code (WEP Key) that is generated is the password you need to enter on your MAC when prompted for it...

Hope this helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the wep keys are pregenerated and are in the box somewhere on a card or on the back of the router on a sticker ( 4 long strings of characters) . he need not actually log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yeah it was the WEP i was talking about, I just have it saved to a text document as security key and have been calling it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

try to use wep-psk, a lot more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

WEP is hackable. WPA is what you want to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement