Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help converting mySQL to access

Options
  • 25-01-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Ive developed a site in ASP with a mySQL back end.

Im migrating the site to the new server only to find out they dont support mySQL on their windows servers and only support MS Access.

So i need to convert my mySQL database into ACCESS.

Anybody got any tools out there to do this conversion.
    Is it possible to convert structure and data without messing up.

Access sucks and is my headache of the day.

HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

They don't support an opensource database??????

Sorry mate but I would advise getting a different host.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ODBC maybe.

Get the ODBC Connector for MySQL, dump the contents of the database into an excel sheet or a series of excel sheets, then reimport them into an Access DB.

As egan says though, I would reconsider what's going on. If you expect any sort of decent traffic on the site, an MS Access backend will seriously let you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

seamus wrote:
    As egan says though, I would reconsider what's going on. If you expect any sort of decent traffic on the site, an MS Access backend will seriously let you down.

Agreed. Access is basically a big fat chunky database and I don't know why it's still used, anywhere.

Can you not go with MS Sequel server at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Access isn't a real multi-user database it's more of data store. It's a pile of cack and I'd stay away from it if you want concurrent access without corruption / other problems.

AFAIR even Microsoft do not recommend it for plenty of tasks (including web applications).

Do yourself a favour and don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnmsde/html/msdeforvs.asp

"Jet can support up to 255 concurrent users, but performance of the file-based architecture can prevent its use for many concurrent users. In general, it is best to use Jet for 10 or fewer concurrent users."

So if you're running an access database on a shared hosting infrastructure you can forget about stability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement