Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook problem

• 25-01-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Have a couple of different pc's all running MS Xp. I have gone into outlook and ticked the relevent box telling it to delete emails from my isp's sever when I delete them from my deleted folder. But yet if I check my emails later on another pc(2) I am still getting the emails coming up I read earlier on pc1. Does anyone know if there is a MS fix for this or even if anyone finds they are having the same problem

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Untick "Leave a copy of message on server".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kaizersoze wrote:
    Untick "Leave a copy of message on server".
    OP, I'm assuming that you want to be able to view all of your mail on all of the PCs, but not have to delete your mail from all of the PCs? If so, don't do what kaizer says. :)

Basically, when you have POP mail, Outlook downloads the mail to itself, and makes a note in its internal database of what mail it has and has not already downloaded. It doesn't synchronise itself with what's on the server.

So if you download an email to two PCs, then later on delete it from PC1 and from the server, there will still be a copy of the email on PC2.

There is no way around this using POP mail on Outlook. You have a number of options:
    1. Switch to an IMAP Mailbox. This is the most preferable solution. IMAP Mailboxes store all messages on the server. When Outlook connects, it syncs with the IMAP folders. A lot of servers provide IMAP access natively, but people use POP because it's usually default. Try set up an IMAP connection to your existing mailbox/server.
    2. Switch to a web-based mail frontend. These usually "peek" at the mail on the server, and don't download them.
    3. Switch to a database-driven collaborative mail system, such as Exchange. This is the most expensive and overkill option :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads, just what the doc ordered;)
    Cubix

Advertisement