Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend A Silent DVD Drive...

Options
  • 25-01-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

To go with my new build (for me in this case, silence > overclocking), I'm looking for a DVD Burner (speed isn't too important, but above average would be nice) which is as quiet as possible.

I've heard the Plextor's are quite good for this as they're bundled control panel apparently has some decent speed limiting stuff.

But anyone have any hands on protection? Any of these on overclockers meet my requirements? (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=701&catid=10&rows=0)

Oh, and black would be nice too ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Both Pioneer( on selected models) & Plextor (possibly Samsung must verify) have speed limit tools built into the firmware of the drive that can be altered via a utility.

It is also possible to use hacked firmware with a slower speed on certain drives and use third party software like Nero CD/DVD Speed to limit the speed but that it a quirky app sometimes.

However I would say the Plextor PX-760A is the safe bet as Plextor do offer speed controls in Plextools (it also comes with a black & white bezel in the box).

A review is here & you can see the speed limit tools almost half way down the page entitled "Silent Mode".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Cheers 8T8. I actually meant to say 'Pioneer' in the original post, but that Plextor looks like it'll be the one I go for in any event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

From what i hear Samsung are very good with regards noise output, most lightly the drive id go for (as they are generally quiet across models)......
    But i did hear good things about a few of the Pioneer drives too.
    Best bet is to look at a couple of the sites like www.silentpc.co.uk ..... etc and see what drives they sell, then match it with OC.

Advertisement