Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook 2003

• 25-01-2007 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop here with WinXP Pro Service Pack 2. It has MS Outlook 2003 installed which is using a POP3 email account. It was working fine.

The problem is now it won't send/receive emails. I have checked all the settings in case the user changed something. All okay. Have other users using the same pop3 emails accounts, all okay. Have checked with the hosting company and they said the account is okay.

When I am testing the email account in Outlook it finds the network connection but immediately says "canceled" beside find incoming and outgoing mail servers.

Anybody have any other suggestions I can try?

Laptop is completely clean of viruses and spyware.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are there any other accounts set up on the profile?

Is Outlook working in offline mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

^^ what he said, try re-creating the profile.

In the E-mail account settings for Pop3, there is a Test Settings option, does that work successfully? As far as I remember, that should send a test mail back to yourself.

Are you on a BB or dial-up connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Dunno if the OP got this sorted or not,
    Whenever you e-mail stops working then there are a series of possabilities
    * The E-mail virus scanning feature of your AV package is having a sulk and being a bastard.(Symantec AV / Security apps love doing this)
    *Some thing has changed i.e. you are connecting via a different ISP now and the outgoing smtp server you have may need to be changed.
    *There are more but i'm not really bothered listing them :)

The one I would look at here is your AV application. Temporarily disable it and then try do a send and recieve. If this still doesnt work then try telneting to the mailserver and see'ing if you connect to the AV daemon on your machine or to the mailserver itself. If the former then really make sure your av is disabled and try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

try connecting to the pop3 server using telnet to see if there's a huge message in the inbox or something. In the past I've had AVG's mail scanning screw up mail retrieval on me (it acts like a local proxy for pop3/smtp traffic), but that was when using Mozilla Thunderbird.

Advertisement