Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ .17hmr Varmint

Options
  • 25-01-2007 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

My scope arrived from america so i thought it was time to mount it and take some pictures.

Have just got a brooks kit to lighten the trigger will take some pics when im installing that as well.

DSC00522Medium.jpg

DSC00523Medium.jpg

DSC00525Medium.jpg

DSC00528Medium.jpg

DSC00529Medium.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Sweet just the kinda pics I was after.

Would love to see some pics of you installing the tube
    if your going to with the brooks kit.

Got a few questions:
    Is the Barrel noticeably bigger/thicker/heavier looking.
    And is it free floated well ?
    is the butt plate rubberised?
    What sized bi-pod would be good for just bench rest/prone ?

Also when ejecting rounds do they hit off the scope often on the way out ?
    when fireing the CZ .22 I often found while re-cocking the brass bounced off
    the scope and fell back into the chamber which was annoying and not
    a safe feeling.

My only worry with me is when I goto collect mine that
    its the wrong model and the barrel is not the heavy barrel.
    and I would have to goto the trouble of ammeding my cert etc.

My buddy in work got the brooks kit and used the 2nd lightest spring.
    the trigger is VERY light but we dont have anything to measure the pull.
    He did not use the tube that came with the kit. Could not get over
    the surprise when you squeeze the trigger compared to the factory
    trigger pull.

When I get mine am gonna put in the 3rd lightest spring.
    From all the years in the reserves I am used to a real heavy trigger
    pull and I actually prefer a heavy trigger. I cant get used to the ultra
    light triggers. I dont know yet how fussy I am going to be about
    over travel.

When surfing about the place the 17grain rounds from hornady
    appear to have the best performance on the CZ's but when surfing
    most online shops and even the hornady webpage only appear to
    refer to the 20grain rounds which dont perform as good.
    (for papertarget shooting anyway) Worried that the ol 17g ones may
    be hard to come by. Mayby as time has moved on Hornady has
    improved the performance of the 20g ones.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Nothing wrong with the 20g ones, I can assure you ;) .

FYI, both the American & Varmint are marked as "American" on the box & indeed, even the test target from CZ :eek: . Both receivers are also stamped "American". Very confusing, even for dealers.

CCI also do FMJs for target shooting in the HMR.

Lovely rimfire the HMR............you'll be very happy ith it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Bullets i havent had a chance to fire it yet just mounted the scope today and all day tomorrow will be spend on L.Derg murderin a few ducks.

I'm putting in the biggest tube and the heaviest spring this will give a trigger with zero creep and should break like glass (at least my old one did) while still requiring a bit of force to pull the trigger to keep it safe for hunting.

The barrel isnt that much bigger really i chose it because i liked the look and wanted the extra weight. Both the sporter and varmint will shoot the same its just asthetics.

The barrel is pretty much free floated but is leaning over to one side a bit ill take it off when i have it out of the stock.

Yes the it has a rubber buttplate which really isnt that much of a biggy theres no recoil off a .17 so again its asthetics and comfort.

Bipod hmmm... not sure you really need to try them out for yourself i'm getting a 9-13" but a 6-9" might be more suited to range work with a bench.

The rounds dont hit the scope no and this isnt common on cz's your friends just got over excited extractors on his cz prob easily fixed.

As for bullets best thing to do imo and i wouldnt count myself an expert by any means but i would buy maybe 150-200 rounds of one type to run the barrel in and then try a few different brands see what it likes best and then stick with them. It depends on how much shooting you intend to do i will only be using mine for hunting so i have chosen .17gr hornady and will be sticking with them unless my barrel horibly disagrees with them. Next year when the rifle is all smoothed out and completely run in i might try testing out bit but as i said its a hunting gun i wont be putting a huge amount of rounds through it think i only put 1000 through the magnum in the 1 3/4years i owned it if even.

Advertisement