Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell are refusing to replace keyboards claiming it is wear and tear

Options
  • 25-01-2007 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

Is this legal? Surley a keyboard on a laptop that is only 6 months old that breaks could be considered wear and tear? Can they change the terms of their 3 year warrenty and suddenly decide to no longer replace a part of their machines?

I mean a badly designed keyboard(which dell have) or a fault within the plastic casing could easily cause damage without ecessive wear and tear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If the keyboard is faulty after only 6 months then clearly the laptop is not fit for the purpose intended. Given that it is such an integral and essential component of the laptop (more so than an easily replaceable pc keyboard), it should be designed to withstand use for the warranty period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had plenty of Dell machines over the years. Never had any problems getting any broken keyboards/mice (Desktop or Laptop) replaced provided it was within the 1 year warranty. As far as I know "plastics" are not covered under an extended warranty?

I take its not accidental damage? i.e. spillage etc..

ambrose :cool:

EDIT: Just remembered that my laptop (I8600) keyboard wasn't covered under Next Business Day. It had to be sent off to be repaired. Sent on a Wed. Back the Friday. Not bad. Fixed too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

krazy_8s wrote:
    Is this legal? Surley a keyboard on a laptop that is only 6 months old that breaks could be considered wear and tear? Can they change the terms of their 3 year warrenty and suddenly decide to no longer replace a part of their machines?

I mean a badly designed keyboard(which dell have) or a fault within the plastic casing could easily cause damage without ecessive wear and tear.

That's bollox. Your entitled to your warrenty cover. The keyboard is built in to a damned laptop, it's no like they can say " oh well, sorry, a new one for your desktop only costs a tenner anyway so feck off"

Advertisement