Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

urgent, quite specific hosting needed

Options
  • 25-01-2007 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

i've also posted this on a diff. forum as looking for advice asap

Hello,

I'm looking to very quickly buy a domain name and hosting package that will need to, as far as is possible, meet the following requirments

1. Be as affordable as possible
    2. Be quick and efficient to set up, ideally would like live .com address by weekend, and block whois info
    3. offer a starter package with ample bandwidth allowances, but if the limit looks like being broken will not close the website but upgrade me to a better package or inform me in advance
    4. offer a forum service, vbulletin?, that is easy to set up (set one up before), and has an option to disallow all automatic linking of email and web addresses plus has an option to censor bad language.
    5. has a simple efficient 'poll' application

ideally also:
    have a guest book like feature that only allows plain text, censors bad language, and there is an option to show the last 5 entries in a small table on the lead page of the website.

I plan to use adsense on this page.

My experience is relatively limited, can make pages no problemo, back end stuff is where I'm limited. So ease of use is very NB, also speed of setting this up is vital. It's a slap and dash make or break job.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

you do realise you are looking for like 5 sepearte things and not just one webhost who will set all this up for you?

you can get hosting from blacknight.ie, hosting365.ie, digiweb.ie, asmallorange.com....the list goes on
    you can get a domain from any of them.

Digiweb do a hosting package which provides you with a free .com domain. The spec of that hosting package is probably what you want (Apache, PHP, MYSQL)

you need to buy vbulletin (85dollars) while phpbb, punbb, vanilla, are all free alternatives.

You need to find a guestbook script on the net (hotscripts.com, sf.net)

You also need to get a CMS (content management system) such as Joomla, Mambo, Drupal or Wordpress to be able to publish content to your webpage

why is this so urgent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Hi, very impressive response.

I do realise that each item is somewhat separate, but from past experience (it's been a while) a host I had before had a control panel with some sort of forum-software, and it was a breeze to set up.

The guestbook thing will be more difficult I imagine - something I need to investigate.

Basically am looking for reliable affordable webhosting service that is very user friendly (so can set up a forum asap).

I'm thinking namecheap.com for domain and whois protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A lot of hosting companies offer pre-installed scripts with their hosting plans.. though if you want to run a decent forum I'd recommend you get a license for vBulletin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Gnerally your program/application requirements come in a package called fantastico which many web hosts provide their customers with.

As for web host, i would recommend, giving the nature of your task, www.bluehost.com which has massive amounts of Bandwith, storage, and gives you plenty of features to tamper around with on their cpanel interface.

They also have Bluehost domain privacy which blocks out your name on the privacy list...

If you would like more information, i have a package with bluehost at the moment, and you can just PM me if you want...

Be aware... E95 per year... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

http://www.letshost.ie
    Found them to be brilliant and have a very good support service!

• Advertisement
Advertisement