Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Web Design

Options
  • 25-01-2007 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Sorry not sure if this is right forum:o

In my late twenties finished college seven years ago. I am currently unemployed, but want to stay in the work area that I have been working in for the past 7/8 years.

In this field, web design has become an increasingly important tool to have, and just looking at possible jobs out there at the mo, it would be good to have some experience.

Sadly I have none :(

I have knowledge of basic word processing and the internet itself of course:rolleyes:

So sorry for these basic questions, but any help would be VERY much appreciated.

1. Is it possible to self teach web design and how to sustain, update etc a web page? If so what books would you recommend and what programmes?

2. Is it better to do a course? For instance how do the experts out there view this Fas course http://www.fas.ie/couframe.htm would that be much good?

3. Is trying to set up your own web page/blog etc a good idea so I can practice and learn by my mistakes?

Anyother basic advice anyone has.

I must come across as a tech pre-historic ape :) but I am not 'scared' of computers or compltely idiotic about them, just have no knowledge of web design.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Self-learning is not a bad thing in that it can allow you to learn from mistakes at your leisure, however it can be a lot slower to pick things up.
    That FAS link didn't actually show any courses.
    I would suggest a combination of both. Set up your own web server and do a basic course. That way you'll be able to put things into practice.
    However you might need to consider what your field requires as far as web design goes. That will dictate what you should look at learning, e.g. Graphics, Flash, Databases , etc.

But to start you off have a look here .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If it's a full time FAS course I would say go for it. I started out in FAS and got a job at a time when post-grads couldn't. I cannot recommend them enough. What is the course title?

I'm going to copy this thread over to the Web Master & Flash forum as well so you can get feedback from there too. Just follow this link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 StanLaurel

Ok,
    1. Go for a FAS course you should be given priority due to status.
    2. Get together a portfolio of work done on the course and any other stuff you have done.
    3. Apply for the BA in Multimedia in CIT through the CAO as a mature student.
    4. Go for an interview for said course.
    5. After getting confirmation of a place on the course, Apply for grant assistance and BTEA (Back to Education Allowance).
    This is your 5 year plan.

Might sound like a long time but it's worth it and you have the summers off to work for bucks or work on the next years course work.
    This was my route and It is working out really well. Any questions on any of the above? Ask away I'll be more than happy to assist in any way I can, I'd like to give something back for what i've been given.
    Good Luck.

Oh and out of curiosity what field have you been working in over the last 7/8 years? The info could be usefull for feedback and a guage of where your at. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AlbertH

There are loads of resources on the internet to teach you to be a web designer. Tutorials on HTML/CSS/DHTML/Graphics
    If you hae the time then start learning now.

I can't comment on the FAS courses as I don't know the content or even if they are of value, so I'll leave that to somebody else.

My main recommendation is to just start building websites.
    Build one for yourself, go through the process of registering a name, setting up hosting (don't use free hosting as you will learn nothing from this), set up email address, develop the site, create the graphics, build the traffic, look for links.

All these are essential skills and then you can start to go into the backend and database stuff.

Approach local businesses and offer to do a website for free. You will learn so much. I look back on some of the sites I did 6 years ago and compare them today and the difference in presentation is huge. You learn as you go along.

Once you have a portfolio then you can start looking for paid work.

To me this is a 1 year plan that can be done alongside any professional courses and will make you a better web designer as you will have real world experience of dealing with customers and their differing requirements.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement