Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FON Router Issues

• 25-01-2007 8:25pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all...

I got the free FON router there a while back from the Boards promotion, and just managed to get it setup but am having some difficulties. You may recall an older topic by me seeking advise on setting up a network for a B&B my parents run. It was suggested we have our own private network, and a FON Network for the guests.

We thought about it and discussed it, and decided to have that option open to FON members only - as if you were not registered with FON you could not use the service (until they register, and then they have to pay until they get a FON Router) - and buy another router for the main guest network which would be protected by either a SSID authoristation or username/password authorization (which I believe, requires having one PC as a server?).

The router supplied with our ISP (UTV) is a Creative Broadband Blaster and has only the one port on the back. So I couldnt connect another router to it. So I got hold of a switch, and brought the cable from the Creative router to the switch, and from the switch to the Access Point. That network works fine. I then connected the FON router to the switch, and the two LED lights for "Power" & "Internet" appear. The WLAN light never turns on. I tried searching for the network on two PCs and it is not appearing. Any ideas why this is?

Hoping you can help us out, bit confused at whats gone wrong! Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hi Sully04, thanks for getting a FON router.

Doesn't sound good that the WLAN light never comes on.

First step - can you check that the antenna is securely screwed on.

Second - can you try resetting the unit? plug it out, press the reset button, hold down while you plug in the unit, and hold it down for an extra ten seconds. After you have let go, unplug the unit and plug it back in again, it should now be reset, and this may resolve your problem.

Next step if that doesn't work, can you figure out what IP number the router has on your internal network? Check on the router to see if there is a way of viewing the DHCP leases, that will tell you. You may also be able to guess the number from the IP numbers that your other computers get.

If you connect to the wired network and connect to the router with a web browser, you may be able to get some idea what's going on.

Do you normally use a pc-based pppoe client to log on or anything like that?

Do you know what kind of wireless network cards are in the two pcs?

Best,

Antoin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi Sully04, thanks for getting a FON router.

Doesn't sound good that the WLAN light never comes on.

The "Quick Install" in the manual never refers to this light being on, but I assumed it should.
    First step - can you check that the antenna is securely screwed on.

Done and checked. All OK.
    Second - can you try resetting the unit? plug it out, press the reset button, hold down while you plug in the unit, and hold it down for an extra ten seconds. After you have let go, unplug the unit and plug it back in again, it should now be reset, and this may resolve your problem.

Done. No difference.
    Next step if that doesn't work, can you figure out what IP number the router has on your internal network? Check on the router to see if there is a way of viewing the DHCP leases, that will tell you. You may also be able to guess the number from the IP numbers that your other computers get.

To access my ISPs router, I just go to 192.168.1.1 - tho DHCP isnt enabled on that, as thats the Access Points job and to be honest -- iv no idea the IP of that devise as I aint accessed it since connecting. Ill see what I can do tho.
    If you connect to the wired network and connect to the router with a web browser, you may be able to get some idea what's going on.

Not to sure what your asking here. This is a wireless network, and not a wired one. The routers, access points and telephone line are all in the one room. PCs are elsewhere.

What I did try tho, is disconnecting my access point & switch completely. I then connected my FON router to my ISPs router (as told to do in the manual) and tried it that way. The WLAN light still fails to come on, and neither PC are able to recognise the devise.
    Do you normally use a pc-based pppoe client to log on or anything like that?

To the network? Thats not setup.. Both PCs have the SSID stored for my wireless network. Thats how the connect. Internet router connects to the WAN with PPPoE tho.
    Do you know what kind of wireless network cards are in the two pcs?

Only use a USB extended atena (sp?) - a Belkin 805.11g 54Mbps. Both use them.

Can you describe your network setup a bit more?

is it:

Phone line - Router - switch - existing access point
    |
    Fonera

or is it something else?

I suspect the problem is that your fonera is not getting an IP number from the network, because you are using a static ip on your existing access point and don't have dhcp switched on on your router. Does this sound like it could be right?

Here is the procedure to directly connect to the fonera. This would allow you to set an ip address.

https://fon-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/fon_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1469&p_created=1168450542&p_sid=jx7KvGsi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMDgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT03&p_li=&p_topview=1

Thanks for your patience!

antoin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Phone Line -> ISPs Router -> Switch -> Access Point & Fon. (The router is connected to the switch, which has the FON and Access Point connecting to it).

This method, the WLAN light fails to appear.

Phone Line -> ISPs Router -> FON.

This method (with all other devises disabled (no power, or connection)), the WLAN light fails to appear.

In both cases, there not detected on the Wireless Connection Lists.

(Btw, I registered last night on the FON Forums. Still awiting acceptance)

Did you set the address on your access point manually? or does it pick it up by dhcp?

• Advertisement

All IPs assigned via DHCP.

Seems strange to me that the FON cant even work when its connected straight into the router with no other devise active.

Yes, for sure. It does sound wrong. It sounds like a faulty unit alright. Is there any way you can collect a spare one from Dublin? Otherwise we will have to get a new one sent out to you.

I live in Tramore, and any family that live in Dublin have just moved back down! Bad timing!

Will it cost me for you to send a replacement?

Certainly not!

Will you write to support at fon.com and cc me at the address i'll pm to you?

Maybe they will know of some other trick you should try. But they should sor you out.

Antoin.

Done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Hi,
    Can anyone invite me as a friend to join the Fon network so I can get a free fon router?
    Thanks in advance :)

fade2che wrote:
    Hi,
    Can anyone invite me as a friend to join the Fon network so I can get a free fon router?
    Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for your useful contribution.

Advertisement