Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox High Definition AV Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I got a normal component cable off ebay, and it does make a fair bit of difference alright, particularly if your using it to play a lot of video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

The official MS ones are as rare as rocking horse shíte, so I wouldn't hold my breath. You can get generic ones on eBay for cheap, but these don't have optical outputs. The only 3rd party cable with an optical output is the Monster cable, but then you will need the Monster specific optical adapter to use it, which is a bit of a cheek. You can pick both the component cable (400x) and the optical (Lightwave 100x) on ebay for about €40 inc. shipping from the states.

The picture quality on the Monster cable is absolutely top notch, and if you have a chipped box and HD telly, then you can enable the 480p, 720p and 1080i options in the dashboard by using the Enigmah region switcher to change it to NTSC. Many US games were high def enabled (list available: here, and can look stunning even now.

Edit: That doesn't quite read right. You can set the HD options without the Monster cable, any component will allow you to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

This is the one I got though I can't remember if this was the seller I got it from:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/High-Def-Component-Optical-Cable-for-XBox-BRAND-NE_W0QQitemZ120078985831QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have 3 xboxes running XBMC. I bought 3 of these cables but atm only use one. The other 2 spares are for when I upgrade the 2 current 28 and 32in CRT Tv's to 37 and 42in Plasmas this year sometime.

As for the one I do use. It connects one the the XBMC's to my Projector via a Joytech Component switcher. Works a treat and I can't seen any problems with the image at all which should be noticable especially on a 100in screen. One thing to note is this is in effect a breakout box so you need to supply your own component cable and Optical and/or stereo phono cables. Unlike the monster it is a standard optical output so you just need a standard optical cable rather than a proprietry monster one.

On a sidenote Monster are the most overhyped overpriced cables in my opinion and have been proven to cheat in their instore demo's. ie One of their component cable demo's enables you to switch between a lower priced component lead and the monster one to show you the difference component makes....except the other lead wasn't component it was composite!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

cool, thanks alot

where's the best place to get the seperate component cables then? ebay? anything specific i shoul steer away from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

I'd agree that the Monster cables are overhyped and definitely overpriced at original retail prices, but if you can pick one up for cheapish on eBay, it's the best 3rd party cable available, bar none.

I've seen reports of dodgy boxes on eBay, including the one linked to above. That thread on AVforums goes on for aaaages about the different options; some people have gone down the Monster route, and others have gone the eBay box route, with differing degrees of success. Your mileage may and probably will vary, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

strangely enough, there's a big ol' thread on the xbmc forums that after loads of people trying every one going on ebay, the one you linked to just there as the best of the lot.

here's the (well worth reading actually) 10 page thread: http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20699

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you don't need optical audio out on Xbox, consider these cables. (Just a suggestion)

Advertisement