Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a bike from Germany

Options
  • 25-01-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has imported a bike from Germany and could give some tips. I am not asking about the VRT, that seems clear enough from their web-site.
    I have seen some really good prices on the site http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/searchPublic.pl?new=1&bereich=krad&category=1300&sr_qual=GN&sprache=1
    My question is once I have say found what I am looking for, how do I proceed with insurance - i.e. do I ring up AON/CN and say I need insurance for a 650cc bike with German plates and then hop on a plane and ride the bike home?
    I used to live in Germany so I am familiar with some of the laws concerning Cars/TUV etc but only having an Irish address I am confused how I can get a number plate + insurance for the journey home and whether I'd be riding with a German plate..
    Anyone gone through this, I'd appreciate hearing from you

gok:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I cant help you with Germany but Yesterday I went to London and picked up a bike,it was snowing out trues me to pick a day like that.Insurance wise it was not a prob I just got the reg and popped in on Monday they rang me today looking for a bit more info but other than that it was fine no probs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I recently brought in a motorhome from Germany and I reckon a bike would be the same story:

I couldn't get Irish insurance to cover me on the foreign registered vehicle, even though I still had a camper insurance policy that should (in theory) have been transferable.

Apart from that ...German regs are owner specific. As soon as the vehicle gets sold, it has to be re-registered in the new owners name and address. If the seller was a friend or a relative they could possibly enable you to drive the bike to Ireland on their insurance and you just send the plates back for de-registering afterwards. The whole de-registering thing would have to be talked over with the relevant German "Zulassungsstelle" in advance though.

The normal procedure is that you get a special "export plate". This is only valid for a few days and includes third party insurance for the period. This involves quite some paperwork and cost.
    A dealer should have no problem organising this for you ...a privat seller would prabably be somewhat overwhelmed by the bureaucracy.

Bottom line is ...buy from a dealer and make export plates part of the arrangements.

"Ausfuhrkennzeichen"
    bs-504s-sae.jpg

Sounds like a lot of hassle.have you checked out the UK for bikes...?

It isn't that much hassle for a dealer.
    Used bikes in dealerships are usually without plates anyway, as the previous owner de-registered them on sale. So dealers usually make it part of their service to register a bike in your name, once you buy it off them ...same for new ones. Therefore they have regular contact with the registration office and know how it all works. Shouldn't make a difference to them whether they get you a regular plate or an export plate.

All they need is your name and address ...and some of your money:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Thanks Peasent, that certainly clears things up a bit.
    I was thinking of only buying from a dealer anyhow by finding one on the mobile.de web-site. I guess I'll need to ask them in advance if they can help me with issueing the Ausfuhrkennzeichen. I suppose I'd need to ring AON/CN in advance and ask for TP insurance for upto 700cc and explain that I didn't know the reg yet but that it would have to have europe wide cover.

Dub13, can you recommend a couple of UK sites, the reason I looked at Germany was coz of the cost - the UK in my initial enquiry appeared to be quite a bit more.

• Advertisement

I suppose I'd need to ring AON/CN in advance and ask for TP insurance for upto 700cc and explain that I didn't know the reg yet but that it would have to have europe wide cover.

That probably won't work:
    a) AON/CN probably won't give you cover for that and
    b) even if they do, the German Zulassungsstelle will most likely balk at foreign insurance

But the good news is:
    The dealer usually has a preferred insurer who gives him all sort of short term / dealer / demo insurance anyway, so they will happily sell him/you the TPO for your export plate and you can let the dealer take care of all of it.
    (annual)Rates are going to be exorbitant, but as the plate is only valid for a short period it's not too bad. I don't know how much an export plate (including the actual plate, insurance and all the various fees) actually is for a motorbike ...but factor in something like 150 - 200 euro, that should cover it.

Have copies of your (appropriate) driving licence and passport ready to send ahead and bring with you.

And another thing ....in order to get an export plate, the bike MUST HAVE a current TUEV (NCT) cert ..so don't go for one without TUEV

EDIT:
    Just found this: http://deckungskarten.eu/shop/catalog/browse?shop_param=cid%3D2%26 (in German only!)

Basically these guys sell you a five day insurance (TPO) over the internet for 48 Euro. You get proof of insurance by post, the so called Doppelkarte which is valid from the time you use it at the Zulassungsstelle ...so you COULD organise the rest by yourself if your German is good enough to deal with the usually grumpy civil servants at the Zulassungsstelle.

48 for insurance, 30 or so for the plate, another 20 for "fees" and an hour of your time

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I had no problem at all importing from the UK with my Carole Nash policy, they were happy with the frame no. and UK reg. I actually got an insurance cert. with the UK reg on it in the post after I got back (when I'd already VRT-ed the bike, all of €150 it cost me :D ) which I got them to re-issue under the Irish reg. no. when I got the documents back from Shannon.

A friend did the import from Germany thing, was a hassle, if doing it again he'd be strongly tempted to just 'borrow' an Irish plate from his bike here and use that for the ride home. Technically a wee bit naughty, but not really, as the plate is registered in his name so if the foreign cops want to trace him for any reason they can, and he is insured under his Irish policy, so what's the harm?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Peasent,
    I checked out those links for the Deckungskarten and noticed that they did say
    Überführung eines Kfz innerhalb Deutschlands
    which means the transportation of a vehicle within Germany - What would happen when I got to Belgium/UK etc or have I mis-read the detals? Anyhow your other suggestion about having the dealer sort it out might get around that.
    I am interested in buying a pretty newish bike and wouldn't ttouch anytthing which didn't have its TÜV - thx forr all that info though:D
    ninja900 yourr suggesttion did cross my mind butt insurance companies just love to find ways of not paying up and I think this would really suit them should it comee to pass..:(

I think its time to email a prospective dealer and see what happens;)

gok wrote:
    Dub13, can you recommend a couple of UK sites, the reason I looked at Germany was coz of the cost - the UK in my initial enquiry appeared to be quite a bit more.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/BIKES/bikes.jsp

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/

When you're searching use the Holyhead postcode if you have the option.

LL67 0HU

Check out used UK prices on

gok wrote:
    Peasent,
    I checked out those links for the Deckungskarten and noticed that they did say which means the transportation of a vehicle within Germany - What would happen when I got to Belgium/UK etc or have I mis-read the detals? Anyhow your other suggestion about having the dealer sort it out might get around that.

You must have misread that one. The "Ausfuhrkennzeichen" is specifically for export and covers all countries (except some obscure African or communist states)

Pick a big enough dealership and there shouldn't be a problem at all with this.
    Several dealers on mobile.de advertise with "english spoken" or something like that ....they would be the ones with lots of experience in exports (but possibly with the slightly dodgier bikes:D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....why go over and collect it - German dealers are used to putting bikes on pallets for domestic transport, so why not just get it collected by truck.

A bike from N Germany to Dublin would cost you about Eur240....cheaper, and much, much easier than going over at this time of year..........Southern Germany is more expensive, but still a whole lot easier.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The man has a point :D

(you could still fly in and out with cattle air for 9.99 to have a look at it beforehand)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I'm getting a brand new , never used scooter delivered to my door by courier from the UK. It's coming in a big wooden box i think. is there anything like VAT/VRT I have to deal with in terms of customs?

Hey GalwayTT,
    I sent a couple of emails today asking about the costs of 'posting the bike to Dublin' and one dealer said about €400 to €500. That dealer was in South Bavaria, Southern Germany.
    The other dealer said it was possible but that he'd have to get back to me with a price.
    €500 is a bit:( Maybe the dealer wasn't too fussed about the business or maybe that is the price down there. €240 would have been an easier decision.
    In any case I'd have to do as Peasant says and get on the cattle air-line to give it the once over.

gok

sneak around to your nearest bike dealer, find out what size crates (outside dimensions + weight) their new (big) bikes come in and and then ring around a few freight companies (I'd recommend Schenker for Germany) for a rough quote.
    You'll soon find out if you're being conned or not. 400 Euro doesn't sound too far off though ....

On the other hand, if you tote up fuel, overnighters and ferries for the trip back, you won't come off that much cheaper either.
    Plus riding a bike (unless it has goldwing like fairings) over 1000 miles of motorway under time pressure to reach the next ferry ain't exactly my idea of fun either.

as an aside ...if are going to drive that bike over, I can recommend the Rotterdam-Hull-Holyhead-Dublin route. Not the cheapest, but very comfortable times and a whole nights rest on the Rotterdam-Hull leg.

Munich (for example) to Rotterdam should be roughly 8 -9 hours and from Hull (off the ferry) you can make it in good time for the afternoon crossing in Holyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Questions...Is it easier to import a bike from Germany if you are loading it in Van...ie not driving it. Was thinking of going by van and getting two to fill up the van. Or is it better to just get it shipped from a dealer and at what cost etc???
    Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

lalababa wrote: »
    Questions...Is it easier to import a bike from Germany if you are loading it in Van...ie not driving it. Was thinking of going by van and getting two to fill up the van. Or is it better to just get it shipped from a dealer and at what cost etc???
    Many thanks in advance

holey thread resurrection batman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Many thanks in advance

Don't forget you'll more than likely have to replace the headlight...or maybe you can ride with stickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

listermint wrote: »
    holey thread resurrection batman

Is 13 years a record?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Anybody out there...🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Many thanks in advance

Yes
    Anybody out there...��

Yes

Advertisement