Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has hot chocolate from 911 gone crap?

Options
  • 25-01-2007 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I think it tasted much better last semester.

Am I imagining it?

The smoothies are still top notch...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

You can't go wrong with a Mango Mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I think most things are crap in 911 so probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

they've started doing desserts though...nyom!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

when you're here four years you discover lots of reasons why not to go to 911.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

but where else will I get fresh smothies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Is anything from 911 ever nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Large Sunrise Smoothie. Nam nam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

911 is crap!

Go to obriens. Their sandwiches are much better for around the same price. Their coffee is good and they also do smoothies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Red Alert wrote:
    when you're here four years you discover lots of reasons why not to go to 911.

Sadly you don't need to on campus for four years to find that out. The most depressing thing is when you've been on campus at weekends for years you discover there is sadly no alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

The tae in 911 is great though. Try it, you'll never look back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

And it poisons you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Sadly you don't need to on campus for four years to find that out. The most depressing thing is when you've been on campus at weekends for years you discover there is sadly no alternative.
    God, don't get me started. Studying on campus on a Sunday outside of exam times meant 911 was the only choice for dinner because centra didn't do rolls then and I'd no place to heat up food.

The place used to just piss me off, it is the worst run business I've ever seen and yet it does great. It mocks my capitalist sensibilites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I really never thought i'd say this but I've actually found staff that are as utterly rude and miserable as the 911 staff, although he has never refused to let someone pay for something because they didn't have a smaller note (seen it done in that place).

I love how welcome canteen guy makes you feel when he makes you wait 10 minutes to pay because he's gone off on his phone in the back so being the well meaning person you are you wait to pay for your food before consuming and it's cold by the time you sit down.

Ah UOM, like UCD only weirder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Actually, on that note, I have to say the standards in o briens are slipping.

It probably sounds a bit picky, but up to recently the food work practices there were excellent, with staff wiping both preparation area and knives etc after each sandwich to avoid contamination.

Recently, there's a new member of staff, who used a filthy dirty spreader to apply mustard to my sandwich. The prep area she was using was also smeared with just about every ingredient in the place.

I also notice the manager hasn't been around, maybe that's the reason. Either way, if it happens again, I'll be having a word with whoever's in charge. Don't fancy trying to explain it to the staff member in question, her english skills leave something to be desired, and I don't want to come across rude or impatient due to a language misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

mloc wrote:
    Actually, on that note, I have to say the standards in o briens are slipping.

It probably sounds a bit picky, but up to recently the food work practices there were excellent, with staff wiping both preparation area and knives etc after each sandwich to avoid contamination.

Recently, there's a new member of staff, who used a filthy dirty spreader to apply mustard to my sandwich. The prep area she was using was also smeared with just about every ingredient in the place.

I also notice the manager hasn't been around, maybe that's the reason. Either way, if it happens again, I'll be having a word with whoever's in charge. Don't fancy trying to explain it to the staff member in question, her english skills leave something to be desired, and I don't want to come across rude or impatient due to a language misunderstanding.
    I think I know who you are talking about, the new Chinese girl?

She is still learning the ropes, but she's getting better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

themole wrote:
    I think I know who you are talking about, the new Chinese girl?

She is still learning the ropes, but she's getting better :)

Thats the one, yeah.

I've actually avoided O Brien's in the last week because general slipping standards have been getting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

mloc wrote:
    Thats the one, yeah.

I've actually avoided O Brien's in the last week because general slipping standards have been getting to me.

Havent notcied that myself. One of the workers there looks like Shakira.She should be on front of a magazine not in O'Briens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

The hot chocolate in O'Brien's is yummy! But I can't really compare it to 911, but I would only ever go there in an emergency (no pun intended!). Actually the only reason I bought that hot chocolate yesterday was because of the sloppy sandwich the abovementioned new girl gave me: she got everything wrong!! That gorgeous drink more than made up for it. It even had some marshmallows floating in it, which I slurped up on the final mouthful!

O'briens in ET used to have the best hot chocolate ever. We got so well known that the manager used to say "here's the hot chocolate gang again" every morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

elmyra wrote:
    they've started doing desserts though...nyom!!

sorry now, you can't just bypass this little gem of information...

Desserts? On Campus?!! ELABORATE!!!

for the love of god, ELABORATE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

They're nasty-tastic. Tasty, but so bad for you.

Sponge cake with custard-y, cream-y stuff and cream. Tiramisu. Profiteroles. Cheesecake. Fruit cup. Trifle. They also have muesli cups, porridge and soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sarchasm

Steveire wrote:
    I think it tasted much better last semester.

The 911 hot chocolates are horrible. its just boiling milk with a bit of chocolate that sticks in the bottom in clumps. I burned my tongue the last time I had one and it was too expensive.

O'Briens and/or perk are much better!

Advertisement