Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Re-wiring 3-bed semi.

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm in the process of renovating a small three-bed end of terrace house in Dublin.

House requires re-wiring - consumer unit shows traces of melting and the grandfather was a dab hand with a wire or two if you catch my drift.

Have already employed builder to put in downstairs jaxx and dry-line kitchen extension area. He's done the first fixing on the kitchen.

All other rooms need re-wiring (living, dining, hall, landing, 3 bedrooms (1 of those is a box room), bathroom).

Have been quoted EUR 5,500 by an old "friend" to do re-wiring (1st + 2nd fixing). For this he will also supply and install an alarm and supply and install an electric shower, tv points and phone points.

Call me a skeptic but I'm not familiar with costs and would like to know how people see this - do ye reckon this is cheap?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i'd say down the west where i am thats a reasonable price up in dublin it sounds even better

• Registered Users Posts: 46,139 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Like another thread (upgrading insulation) where it could be at home in any of the 2 home and garden forums I think this is more suited to DIY.

Moved with re-direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

We got our 3 bed (well it was a 3 bed, now it's a two bed) around 800sq ft. house re-wired last year in Dublin for 3,500. Same rooms as you except an extra bathroom and one less bedroom. Included wiring for alarm and surround sound in the sitting room. That was the cheapest quote we got and worked out ok, although it took a little longer, than it might have with the others. The highest quote we got was around 6,000 if I remember correctly. I forked out another 400 for the alarm afterwards and I think electric showers are pricey enough, so 5,500 isn't that far off the mark. I would go with your friend because you know he's going do a good job and he'll probably be more flexible with how many lights/sockets per room. Some of them will add a few quid to the initial quote if you change your mind how many sockets you want in a room (which is fair enough), but your pal is less lightly to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Excuse my ignorance guys but are these quotes inclusive of wall chasing?

Yes, inclusive of chasing, but doesn't include filling in the chased channels after wiring. Think that's they way they normally price it, although if its a nixer the sparky mightn't be too interested in chasing. Dirty ole job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Chasing isn't really that bad dude.

yep its not half as bad as people seem to think

If you're into hard labour, it's great! I think most sparks (especially if they're doing a nixer) will get someone else to do it. My fella got a labourer in to do it. Took him 2 weeks of hard graft. (ex corpo poured concrete house)

it takes me 2 hours to do a 3-bed semi.i got a good bosch kango

The electricians labourer was using a bosch kango too, but to be fair I think it probably depends a lot on what the walls are made of, how quickly you work and how you're been paid! (walls were solid concrete, he was slightly old and I would guess been paid by the hour :-). But i paid a fixed price to the electrician and was glad of the labourers company... stripping wood chip wallpaper can be a lonely old business!

Still, credit where credit is due, 2 hours is pretty quick. Good man Dave.

Could that be why you're having problems with your knees? :-)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054965939&referrerid=&highlight=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cathalcjb

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah, I was originally thinking around the 3-4k mark so when I heard 5 and a half I thought it could be a bit much. Considering he's chasing and re-filling all his mess and putting in the alarm and shower plus a fan in the bathroom, I don't feel too short-changed, though I have a problem with the oil burner now since he disconnected the wiring.

There's power going to it now (reconnected temporarily) but it's not firing. This was coupled with the replacement of the oil tank but I'm sure there's oil coming through so I'm a bit lost. Any suggestions? I don't even know how
    it's really hooked up. All I know is that there's wiring going to the front (which seems to be where the ignition kicks in) and to the back of the stove (which I reckon may be to do with the thermostat, though I'm not sure).

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Advertisement