Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3g broadbnd card

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

so i checked website ,i cant get 3g,but can get gprs

what type of speeds would i be expecting if i got that for my laptop?

would it be higher than dial up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

what type of speeds would i be expecting if i got that for my laptop?

would it be higher than dial up?

I find it just better than dialup in gprs area... not really worth the money for anything other than backup when travelling though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JWB

Touch and go IMO. About the same, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

My GPRS connection is not as reliable as dial-up, it goes "flat" at times, non-responsive, I guess this is slow ping times etc. Once it gets connected it's so-so, maybe a touch faster, just a touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Try Three www.three.ie coverage is far better than VF in most areas. 3.6mb service to be completed by end of feb.

Areas where they don't have coverage they jump onto Vodafone network. 85% of country covered with 3g - about 250 - 350 kbs speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Threes coverage is slightly better but they are more expensive with a smaller data transfer cap.I can tell you from my monitering of my own use of Vodafones unlimited service that unless all you do is some light browsing threes 3gb would be eaten very quickly. Vodafone also tell me they have upgrades to 3.6mb in the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just in case anyone here is interested ,I'm going to get the modem today from vodafone. I can stick up the bandwith tests here if you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

The websites aren't very reliable for telling what you'll get.
    If you know someone with a 3G vodafone handset, ask
    them to visit, and see do you get the 3G message on their phone.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Threes coverage is slightly better but they are more expensive with a smaller data transfer cap.I can tell you from my monitering of my own use of Vodafones unlimited service that unless all you do is some light browsing threes 3gb would be eaten very quickly. Vodafone also tell me they have upgrades to 3.6mb in the pipeline.

You can't sign up to Vodafone's unlimited service any more (if it were ever unlimited that is), so you get twice the speed for the same money with 3 with likely better coverage. Vodafone's wording on the site is also somewhat peculiar: "€33.05 ex. VAT (€39.99 including VAT) per month until 28th Feb 2007". I have no idea what the implication of the 28th Feb is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Just in case anyone here is interested ,I'm going to get the modem today from vodafone. I can stick up the bandwith tests here if you want?

I'd be interested to see these too. I got the USB modem yesterday. I haven't been impressed, but it is early days yet. My experience is detailed here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055030500&page=4

I haven't got a chance to take the modem outside my house to see how it is anywhere else. But as it stands without some improvement I won't be keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Blaster99 wrote:
    "€33.05 ex. VAT (€39.99 including VAT) per month until 28th Feb 2007". I have no idea what the implication of the 28th Feb is.

The Feb 28th 2007 only refers to the expiration of this offer, i.e after this date you won't be able to get the 39.99 package anymore, and maybe the modem won't be €129. The offers will change, perhaps this is related to the upgrades planned for March? They might be dividing up packages based on caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the link bugler ,great thread .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I find the service bordering on unusable nowadays.. it was find before xmas, but now I'm getting 20% packet loss in the evenings, and 7-10% packet loss during the day.. unbearable. Anybody else similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

spockety wrote:
    I find the service bordering on unusable nowadays.. it was find before xmas, but now I'm getting 20% packet loss in the evenings, and 7-10% packet loss during the day.. unbearable. Anybody else similar?

Yes your not alone, i move mine around a lot, across 200 miles or so and in built up areas its really bad in the evening, in castlebar at 6pm yesterday i was getting 15k download, and thats been upgraded to 1.8Mb................... still other parts are fine............where i live for example i am petty sure i am one of if not the only one to use 3G as an internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

niallb wrote:
    The websites aren't very reliable for telling what you'll get.
    If you know someone with a 3G vodafone handset, ask
    them to visit, and see do you get the 3G message on their phone.

NiallB

i have one myself[the first one that was aviable- this qwuite ugly!]
    and i dont ever get 3g coverage at my house

but i did get it ...........only stayed for a min or two though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Godskitchen,
    Are you outside Cbar? I am about 4 miles Westport side of Castlebar without any broadband and it seems hard to get it, are you happy with your connection?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Almost 50% packet loss for me for a few hours last night, in Dublin 3.

Practically unusable and incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

yop wrote:
    Godskitchen,
    Are you outside Cbar? I am about 4 miles Westport side of Castlebar without any broadband and it seems hard to get it, are you happy with your connection?

yes i am a good bit outside castlebar, (Glenhest) im happey with the connection, apart from tonight when it keeps disconnecting!!! i am guessing you are in the islandedy area? if so i can pop around and show you how the connection works on my laptop, i have both the Vodafone and Three data packages.........let me know, its not a problem as i go that way every 2/3 days.

Advertisement