Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will Vista be sold in stores?

• 26-01-2007 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Is the 30th of this month the release date for Windows Vista all around the world? Are there any shops allowed to sell the OS before its official release date?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

30th of january is when it's available in shops worldwide.

you can order from www.overclockers.co.uk and get it in two days time.
    they are the only web store allowed sell it early.

they have all flavours in stock both OEM and RETAIL, ranging from home basic up to ulimate.

it's where i got my copy and i'm using as i type, quite spiffy i might add :D

Available in Argos too from 30th January.

hellboy99 wrote:

i take it they are selling the retail editions?

christ i'd love to see the price they charge for Vista Ulimate Retail.

In Argos :

Vista Home Premium - €329.99
    Vista Home Premium Upgrade - €219.99
    Vista Ultimate Upgrade - €369.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Komplett.ie are selling Vista Home Premium OEM for about €20 cheaper than Overclockers.co.uk.

Retail, particularly from a highstreet store, is a bad idea. You're going to be paying serious sums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you really want the retail versions, it's probably worth buying from the states.
    $249 for ultimate upgrade (amazon.com) vs £235 stg from overclockers. When yesterday's news announced $1.99 <
    £1.

They're doing the same for MS Office '07.

Guess that MS are passing on the European Commission antitrust fines to European customers.

Lodgepole wrote:
    Komplett.ie are selling Vista Home Premium OEM for about €20 cheaper than Overclockers.co.uk.

Retail, particularly from a highstreet store, is a bad idea. You're going to be paying serious sums.

pity komplett doesn't have any 64bit OEM's or even the retail for that matter.

i suppose with argos though they aren't a system builder so they can't sell OEM copies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

hellboy99 wrote:
    In Argos :

Vista Home Premium - €329.99
    Vista Home Premium Upgrade - €219.99
    Vista Ultimate Upgrade - €369.99

Hey Hellboy are Argos selling the 64bit edition of the Premium upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Out of curiosity, why are you all upgrading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Because I really like Vista. I've tried a copy of Vista Enterprise in work, and am getting a free copy of Home Premium from MS whenever they get around to posting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

I called Argos and the answering machine said that the Home Premium Upgrade was a Home Basic Upgrade but it says on the catalog that it is the Premium version whats that all about?

Stephen wrote:
    Because I really like Vista. I've tried a copy of Vista Enterprise in work, and am getting a free copy of Home Premium from MS whenever they get around to posting it.
    Whats to like about it? Im using enterprise here.

The UI is ugly, its dumbed down and its a resource hog. What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Stephen wrote:

Yip I'm running Vista Ultimate and its the Bee's Knee's! :D I didn't like it at the start but its grown on me over the last couple of weeks.

th_vista.jpg

What do you like about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

CiaranC wrote:
    Out of curiosity, why are you all upgrading?
    Vendors will eventually stop supporting XP. How many vendors will go out of their way and make sure all drivers for hardware released in the past five years will work under Vista by developing new drivers?

Microsoft doesn't help either. AFAIK, support for 2k has been ditched [Microsoft Update]. XP's next in the firing squad.

I'm still have Vista RC2 on my PC although I'm only using it for syncing with my phone -- using Linux instead. I will openly say I like it and I'd like it even more if I had experienced the new Aero eye-candy [only have 512 MB RAM].

Upgrading is worth it just to have half decent user control at last; I mean having a user with 'limited' rights but the same as 'limited' in XP where one couldn't even look at 'My Network Places' unless having administrative rights.

PS: only costing E16 to get the Business upgrade at work. Very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

CiaranC wrote:
    What do you like about it?

Its has a much nicer interface than XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Just thought I'd say that if you buy the OEM version and you upgrade your motherboard ( or replace it if it breaks)you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows Vista as you can only install it on one pc - or so both Microsfot and Komplett tell me anyway - looks a bit ricky to go with OEM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

OEM Ultimate 32 is going at a nice price ATM, only wish they would do the 32/64bit on OEM too...:D

Anyone getting the singed copy's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hellboy99 wrote:
    * This item is excluded from the 16 day money back guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Jezz...no money back?, lol...maybe i was lucky to get my money back.

Advertisement