Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get an Mp3 Player fixed?

Options
  • 26-01-2007 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

My Mp3 player broke down, it's a Creative Zen Tough. I really can't return it. Though it's not my fault it broke, there are scratch marks from me trying to get the stop button back into place that look suspicious.

It needs the headphone jack fixed(probably resoldering) and the stop button fixed.

Where should I take it that won't rip me off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Nobody will touch it, an electrical shop will just return it to the manufacturer and charge you what they got charged plus a little on top.

If its still within its 1 year warranty i'd say your best bet would be to ring creative and say nothing, just that "It stopped working" nothing about the scratches or whatever.

Same with iPods and the like, just returned to manufacturer to be "repaired" but their all actually replaced, the labour involved taking apart something so small is more costly than just replacing it with a refurb unit or a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

You could try the AV Service Centre in Father Mathew Quay(021)4273796 , its between RTE and the School Of Comm ,
    they are very good at fixing small stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Creative do in fact go to the trouble of disassembling and repairing/replacing of the bad part(s).

If it's like any of the other creative players, then there's a tin foil trick that may fix the headphone jack (instead of soldering). The stop button's probably just dirty. In any any case, that AV shop on the quays will probably be able to fix it.

craichoe wrote:
    Nobody will touch it, an electrical shop will just return it to the manufacturer and charge you what they got charged plus a little on top.

If its still within its 1 year warranty i'd say your best bet would be to ring creative and say nothing, just that "It stopped working" nothing about the scratches or whatever.

Same with iPods and the like, just returned to manufacturer to be "repaired" but their all actually replaced, the labour involved taking apart something so small is more costly than just replacing it with a refurb unit or a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

They told me to ring up creative instead. Blast.

On the plus side I found the Funky Skunk across the river is much better on the one off Washington street. They have some great dresses for 30 euros. But I don't suppose that concerns most of you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In fairness to Creative, I've got one of the Muvo players and it stopped working about 13 months after I bought it. I'd lost the battery cover and the screen was scratched to hell and back, but they replaced it without any hassle when I emailed them saying I bought it "about 12 months ago". So it's worth trying them, at any rate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 peveril13

sorry to hear bout ur trouble with ur toy.

I work in retail electric and have dealt with Creative several times. they are excellent to deal with. Ive sent some things back that I thought no way can this be done under warranty (recently sent a 30gb zen with cracked casing!!) and they have come up trumps everytime.

today I sent another 30gb zen visionm with a smashed screen, no way was this gonna be warranty. they charged 145.20 and the item will either be repaired or they will replace it for that price, in fairness thats great value.

u can walk all U want round the city, I dont think any1 will touch it.

if U want some help pm me and I might be able to sort something out for u. like I said I deal with them a little

Creative seem to be refusing to respond to my emails.

What do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 peveril13

what exact model is it and how long ago did U get it?
    is there physical damage?
    give me this and we can go from there.

It's the Zen Touch I got it around this time last year.

When I FINALLY got through to creative, they asked for a proof of purchase which I no longer have.

Surely there's somewhere that must fix it?

Advertisement