Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance selling - cooling off?

Options
  • 26-01-2007 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52686359&posted=1#post52686359
    was going way off topic so I decided to start one here.

How long is the cooling off period?
    Googling tells me 7 days, but another poster is convinced it is 14.

Can the consumer take advantage of the cooling off period if the item has been opened.

And one last thing that I have always wondered.
    If an Item is faulty, at what point can the consumer insist on a full refund and not have to accept a repair or replacement.

I buy online a lot so this info will be very usefull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

According to the distance selling regulations here you can cancel the contract without giving a reason within 7 days, with no penalty beyond you paying for the cost of returning the goods.

This doesn't apply for:
    - Something made specifically/personalised for you;
    - audio or video recordings, or software, once unsealed;
    - newspapaers or periodicals;
    - anything where the price fluctuates outside of the suppliers control.

So it would seem it's OK for the item to be opened once it's not software/video/audio.

But obviously individual suppliers might offer their own 'no-quibble' return policies of 14 or 28 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

tuxy wrote:
    Hi this thread [URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52686359&posted=1
    Can the consumer take advantage of the cooling off period if the item has been opened.

And one last thing that I have always wondered.
    If an Item is faulty, at what point can the consumer insist on a full refund and not have to accept a repair or replacement.

I buy online a lot so this info will be very usefull.

The item must be returned in a saleable condition. If it is a DVD and the seal is broken, it would not have to be accepted.

as for accepting a repair, if the item can be repaired to a condition whereby it can be fully used for the purpose intended than a repair must be accepted.

example - faulty battery cover on digital camera - simple repair which won't affect the working or value of the camera, so must be accepted.

Example - contact points in camera broken. Extensive repair required, replacement should be offered. If replacement not available, refund must be offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Advertisement