Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can ping sites but can't view them in IE

Options
  • 26-01-2007 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine has Eircom BB.
    He can view some sites but not all for some weird reason.

For example, myhome.ie he can ping but no joy in IE....it just times out.
    I tried putting in just the ip in IE to rule out DNS (is this correct?) but again it times out.

Any other number of sites are effected.

Any ideas before he rings Eircom?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've had the same issue with BT for ages. Sometimes I can access site, most of the time I can't and it's always the same sites; www.yahoo.com always works but mail.yahoo.com doesn't.

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Any other ideas anyone?
    Are any other Eircom users getting this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Get firefox

Try at least one other browser to see if it is IE at fault or not.

Turns out with was the PPPoE setting on the router. Eircom did not want to know so Belkin themselves came to the rescue.

I believe it was set to PPPoA

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

issues like this are usually due to your packetsize being too large. pings are small and pass fine, but loading website results in the header being sent ok ( title appear in the browser ) and the rest not loading. PPPoA as smaller encapsulation header, and hence larger data-packet segment, which might be why ( which is why it was slightly better throughput when the network supported it )

• Advertisement

I did try playing with the MTU but never thought of PPPoE/A

Main thing she's sorted

Advertisement